A delicious Thai based dairy free chicken curry with Indian flair that is ready start to finish in 40 minutes. Enjoy the flavors of tender chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and onions all enveloped in a creamy sauce. Gluten-free and dairy free. Only 11 ingredients needed.
After spending months in Thailand, traveling, renting an apartment and taking almost 10 cooking classes, it is safe to say that I have a huge appreciation and love for Thai cuisine.
The flavors are insane. Super fragrant curry pastes infuse the air with their aroma, as do the other crucial Thai cooking ingredients – ginger, lemongrass and kafir lime leaves.
Your olfactory system practically goes into scent overload from the magnificence of all the different scents.
Honestly it really is that incredible. If you’re making your own curry paste from scratch you really are in for a treat. The taste, texture, smell, everything is simply exquisite.
You do also then have to put in the arm work – it’s not easy task pounding and smashing spices and ingredients together to form a smooth coherent paste.
So when you’re short on time, or upper arm strength luckily you can purchase ready made curry pastes. I have tried a whole bunch of different ones and can confidently say that the best one I have found so far is the Maesri brand.
Their curry pastes are super high in flavor, and carry a good dose of spicyness. When you open up the can you can see that the mixture is not perfectly smooth, that you can still see a bit of the ingredients in there, which I also appreciate.
This is the brand I always buy and love.
While the standard red curry paste carries quite a bit of a kick, the massaman paste pulls from the Indian spices and is completely mild (and very different from the red curry paste). So if you’ve got a low heat tolerance this is the curry for you.
I first learned how to make a massaman curry at the Time For Lime cooking school on the island of Koh Lanta. I loved it. Sweet potatoes, chicken, onions, and a creamy, dreamy, spice infused curry paste. More liquidy than the traditional red curry and perfect for slurping up once you’ve inhaled all the other ingredients. With only 11 ingredients required this recipe is a simple intro into the delightful world of Thai cooking. The most exotic ingredients here are the curry paste, fish sauce, and coconut milk — all of which you can most probably find in a large local supermarket with an international aisle.
No fish sauce? Just substitute with soy sauce or gluten free tamari.
You are bound to love this recipe for Massaman dairy free chicken curry as much as I do. The flavors of tender chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and onions all in one creamy sauce. This dairy free chicken curry recipe is both healthy and irresistibly delicious. Ready in just 40 minutes while also being gluten free.
A delicious Thai based curry with Indian flair that is ready start to finish in 40 minutes. Enjoy the flavors of tender chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and onions all enveloped in a creamy sauce. Gluten-free and dairy free.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons massaman curry paste
- 2 cups coconut milk (divided)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, each cut into 8 segments
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 green onions, diced for garnish
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add chicken thighs and cook until browned on each side (does not need to be cooked through). Remove from pan.
- Add curry paste to pan and cook for one minute, then add chicken back to pan and mix.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk. Cook until mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally and remaining cup of coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and stir until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add sweet potato, and onions, simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Add fish sauce and brown sugar. Mix.
- Serve over rice, garnished with green onions and lime juice.