A simple and creamy spiced red Thai lentil soup that cooks in 30 minutes and is both vegan and gluten free. A light dinner or perfect lunch.
Yup I am full aware summer is in full swing and I’m sharing a steamy hot creamy soup recipe.
Did I make this last winter and forget to share it until now? Nope.
I made this mouthwatering Thai lentil soup for lunch today and while the soup has 5 servings I quickly gobbled up 3 of those.
Sometimes you just need soup in your life, regardless of weather, season or outside temperature.
Today is that day for me. I woke up with a slight lingering sore throat and knew what I had to do. Starting with a glass of warm lemon water and gurgling with salt and ending with this soup I am already feeling better.
I actually made soup last night too – my classic Asian noodle soup, which also quickly disappeared. It’s definitely been soup time around here. Soup and nap time. I’ve been super lethargic the last couple days.
I’m not usually a napper — mostly because pre nap I’m sleep and post nap I’m groggy, sleepy and cranky so it always seems to me as if I was better off just being sleeping before the nap.
But today and yesterday I’ve been in nap mode as well. Sometime it truly is great to take a nice long afternoon couch nap. And then to wake up to soup soup soup.
Yes please. It may be time for another nap, and another bowl of soup right after.
This thai lentil soup cooks in 30 minutes and is packed full of Thai flavors. Not exactly a traditional soup – mostly my take on what a Thai version of red lentil soup would be. With red curry paste, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, shallots, lime juice, cilantro and coconut cream you should already know this Thai lentil soup is awesome.
I love tender and smooth red lentils which cook much quickly than other lentils and to me are more flavorful. If you don’t have the Thai style ingredients on hand you could always make my traditional red lentil soup instead, or my apple red lentil soup!
A simple and creamy Thai spiced red lentil soup that cooks in 30 minutes and is both vegan and gluten free. A light dinner or perfect lunch.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 large shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry pasta
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed soaked in cold water and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 teaspoons gluten free tamari
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 lime, zested
- handful cilantro, chopped
- Heat pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil and when hot add shallots, ginger, garlic and lemongrass. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, mixing with the other ingredients.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until lentils cooked through.
- Add gluten free tamari and coconut cream. Bring to a boil, simmer for a couple minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice.
- Serve garnished with lime zest and cilantro.