A hearty vegan mushroom stir fry made with a medley of various mushrooms including, portabello, shiitake and baby beech. Gluten Free too. A perfect side dish.
Mushrooms. Love ’em or hate ’em?
And all so different. So many different flavors profiles and textures. I love how mushrooms are very hearty and meaty – if you can describe a vegetable that way.
Russians love to go mushroom picking in the woods. It can seem like a bit of a strange hobby at first, but I’ll tell you they love it. My mom and I don’t usually partake but my dad loves to go and both of my grandmothers do too.
There is something magical about foraging for your own food. Seems more natural right? And with mushrooms there are so many different types and different sizes that you really can find that golden special mushroom while searching.
While D and I were backpacking in Croatia in the summer of 2013 we were lucky enough to be in the region well known for the truffle mushrooms and were even able to sample it in several dishes across the region. Now that is an expensive mushroom I tell you. That flavor though, cannot be mistaken for anything else. It is so distinct, and so fragrant, just unlike anything else really.
In my daily cooking unfortunately I cannot afford to be preparing dishes with the finest truffles, but there are lots of other incredible mushrooms to cook with.
In this simple vegan mushroom stir fry I used the large portabello mushrooms caps, shiitakes and baby beech mushrooms. All three types are completely distinct yet come together nice in a stir fry. The flavors complement each other, from the meatiness of the shiitakes to the lighter flavor of the portabello and the baby beech.
I like to sautee each type of mushroom separately and then combine everything together. This way each flavor can absorb and develop on it’s own and then combine with the others.
The garlic, ginger and birds eye chili gets added in at the end, also separately so that it can probably brown and become fragrant without the mushrooms getting in the way. Then mix everything together and add a few sauces and that’s it – a delicious hearty vegan side dish is ready.
A hearty vegan mushroom stir fry made with a medley of various mushrooms including, portabella, shiitake and baby beech. Gluten Free too. A perfect side dish.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3 portabella mushroom caps, halved and sliced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 7.5 ounces baby beech mushrooms
- 2-3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons gluten free tamari
- 1 dried Thai birds eye chili pepper, crushed
- for garnish: sesame seeds and chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add portabella mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occassionaly and remove from pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and shiitake mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes and remove from pan.
- Add a bit more oil if needed and add baby beech mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes and remove from pan.
- To the pan add garlic, ginger and birds eye chili pepper. Cook until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms back to the pan and mix everything together. Add sesame oil and tamari.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro