This Asian Tuna wrap is a simplified version of the classic Japanese tuna hand roll, except it’s ready within minutes and made with canned tuna, cucumber and avocado. Low calorie, low carb. Have lunch on the table in minutes. Gluten Free + Dairy Free
All I want is fish and seafood nowadays. After two months house sitting in Costa Rica, and only having access to a small grocery store that did not carry any fish, I am in serious need of some.
This Asian tuna wrap is inspired by the classic tuna hand roll at a Japanese restaurant.
Except this one is made with canned tuna instead. You can’t always get your hands on fresh sushi grade tuna. But don’t let than stop you from making tuna hand rolls. This simplified version is ready in minutes, no cook, and requiring only nine ingredients. And if you’re feeling iffy about raw tuna to begin with, no issues with that here.
The key ingredient is the seaweed sheets – which you can now probably find in the Asian aisle of a regular grocery store. I love love love the taste of these. Earth, lightly crunchy, there’s just a specific taste to them that I can’t quite describe. And they’re healthy too. As well as being low calorie and low carb. A win win for a wrap right?
In a bowl mix the tuna with mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce and tamari. Make that as spicy as you wish. Thinly slice that avocado and cucumber and get everything ready.
Then the trick is the neatly layer the ingredients on a diagonal on the seaweed sheet and start rolling it away from you in a circular motion.
That’s the tricky part. It will take a few tries to get these rolled up nicely. I don’t know how the restaurants get theirs rolled up perfectly every time but I could certainly use some lessons. Even if you can’t get the shape perfect, no worries, as long as you roll it up some way it’s ready for eating.
This is a perfect light lunch that is low carb, low calories and bursting with flavor. Think of it as a cheaper home made version of the Japanese hand roll. Just as good made at home though.
This Asian Tuna wrap is a simplified version of the classic Japanese tuna hand roll, except it's ready within minutes and made with canned tuna, cucumber and avocado. Have lunch on the table in minutes.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 can of tuna in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon gluten free tamari (+ additional tamari for dipping in)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 large Butter lettuce leaves
- 2 seaweed sheets
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl mix tuna with mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce, salt to taste, and tamari.
- Place seaweed sheet in front of you, and in a diagonal line of the sheet closest to you lay lettuce, cucumbers, avocado and tuna mixture.
- Roll the seaweed sheet, away from you, around the tuna mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve with gluten free tamari.