Warm up with this comforting gluten free ramen chicken soup with eggs, bean sprouts, snap peas, noodles, cilantro and lime juice. The ultimate comfort food. Dairy Free too. Skip the take out and make this gluten free ramen soup at home instead.
For the longest time I thought ramen was only sold in those 50 cent packs and was targeted specifically at broke college students who needed a snack while pre-gaming and chasing cheap vodka shots.
Boy was I wrong.
It took a 2 week backpacking trip (the beginning of a 2 year world backpacking trip) to Japan before I really understood the magic of true ramen.
Before my trip to Japan I knew I loved Japanese food, sushi, sashimi, sushi rolls, miso soup. That was pretty much all I knew.
And then I got there and discovered a whole world of Japanese cuisine outside of sushi.
It was soup, (which by now you should already know I love – hello vegan quinoa black bean pumpkin soup – here’s looking at you)
In Japan there were all types of soup. So much soup. It was all I wanted. Soup every day, soup every way. It was there that I uncovered my love for ramen. Ramen is it’s category of noodle and soup in Japan.
It is appreciated and embraced by all. The broth is rich and deep with a full variety of toppings and those silky, long, noodles. Another great thing about Japanese culture – they encourage loud slurping while eating.
It’s not rude there. It’s a compliment. Why eat quietly when you can display your enthusiasm for your meal with a loud slurp. No problems picking up that habit.
And to think all these years I’ve been actively trying to eat silently. I could have been loudly slurping in Japan all along.
Now this is not a traditional ramen soup recipe, but is my own take on this magical dish. For the flavor I used red curry paste, shrimp paste and cashew butter. Now I know shrimp paste is an unusual ingredients (and one that can be a bit pungent) so if you don’t like it or can’t get your hands on it, just add a bit more curry paste (being careful not to add too much if yours is spicy – which is brand dependent).
Same thing with the fish sauce — another strongly smelly ingredient that brings a whole world of flavor but can be easily substituted with gluten free tamari.
Overall this soup has a little bit of everything. The broth is rich and deeply flavorful with crunchy sugar snap peas, meaty ground chicken, silky noodles, runny creamy eggs, crispy bean sprouts and fresh zesty lime juice and cilantro.
This gluten free ramen chicken soup is a full meal in one.
Yes, you may have to dirty a few pots and pans but for a soup like this it’s totally worth it.
Warm up with this comforting gluten-free chicken ramen soup with eggs, bean sprouts, snap peas, noodles, cilantro and lime juice. The ultimate comfort food. Dairy Free too. Skip the take out and make this ramen soup at home instead.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- For the chicken:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken (can use turkey instead)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste (can omit or use a bit more red curry paste instead)
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter (can use peanut butter instead)
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce (can use gluten free tamari instead)
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas,
- 6 ounces gluten free ramen noodles or thin rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 eggs, soft boiled
- 6 ounces bean sprouts
- to garnish: lime juice, chopped cilantro
- For the chicken: heat pan over medium heat and add teaspoon of olive oil. Brown the chicken, until cooked through adding 1 teaspoon tamari and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Mix. Set aside.
- For the soup: heat pot over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add ginger, garlic and red onion. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, shrimp paste and cashew butter. Mix.
- Add fish sauce, broth and sesame oil.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add sugar snap peas.
- In a separate pot prepare rice noodles according to package directions.
- In a separate pot prepare 4 soft (or hard) boiled eggs.
- Serve soup with a few spoonfuls of ground chicken, handful of rice noodles, 1 egg, halved, handful of bean sprouts and garnished with lime juice and chopped cilantro.