Skip the tomato sauce and make vegan roasted red pepper pasta sauce instead. So creamy and cheesy you’ll never know it’s vegan. Gluten Free too. Ready in 30 mins.
And I’m writing this right now from Colombia. Yep just like that and I’m in South America. A new continent crossed right off my list.
D and I are renting an apartment in Medellin for a month. A city that is well known as the home base of Pablo Escobar (give Narcos a watch if you’re not familiar with the story), a city with a turbulent history, but one that has transformed itself in recent times.
The neighborhood we are staying in is incredibly modern, with 24 story high rise buildings, mega malls with every store you can think of and top notch restaurants, and plenty of well dressed people buzzing about on their way to and from work.
Not quite the impression I had of Colombia before I got here.
And guess what; they even have gluten free pasta at the grocery store?! Woah, I know. If you know me at all you know that one of the first things I did after checking in to the apartment was head to the grocery store. Luckily for me there are two within a ten minute walk. An upscale and a standard grocery store. Double yay. And apparently nearby there is a grade A butcher shop with organic meats + poultry and flash frozen fish. I’m down.
One thing I am not doing in Medellin though is eating pasta. Time for a seriously needed carb detox. Way too much holiday eating slash friends and family feasting that carries over into early February.
Don’t judge, but my New Years resolutions are just starting up right about now. I know a bit late. I am hitting the gym hardcore (well for 30-45 minutes daily, let’s be real) and eating the healthiest most nutritious things I can find.
Think veggies, lots and lots of veggies.
For everyone else out there, who did not completely over do it in January I have this awesome vegan roasted red pepper pasta to share with you. Roasted red peppers are the best. They’re awesome in a vegan roasted red pepper soup with tahini, and they work just as marvelously in a pasta sauce.
If you’ve never made a vegan roasted red pepper pasta sauce before you must immediately. It is so so so rich in flavor and just the best thing ever. There is so much you can do with it. It works as a pasta sauce, or a sauce for chicken or fish, or even a dip.
For this vegan roasted red pepper pasta sauce recipe I pan fried the red peppers with a bit of garlic, red onions, paprika, and coconut cream and then pureed into a magical silky, creamy, cheesey (thanks nutritional yeast) sauce.
Slather that on top of a bit bowl of pasta, top with sliced toasted almonds and your new favorite comfort meal, vegan roasted red pepper pasta is ready.
What do you usually serve with a vegan roasted red pepper pasta sauce? Share in the comments below!
Looking for more 30 minute weeknight pasta recipes? Check out these:
Skip the tomato sauce and make vegan roasted red pepper pasta instead. A whole depth of flavor and made to be super creamy with the addition of coconut cream. GF.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 9 ounces gluten free pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (preferably home made), chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 - 1 cup vegetable broth or reserved pasta water (optional - add if needed to thin out the broth)
- Optional - 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Add garlic and onion, cook until fragrant (a couple minutes)
- Add roasted red peppers, smoked paprika and salt to taste. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut cream. Mix. Cook for a few minutes. Add nutritional yeast. Mix.
- Using an immersion blender puree until smooth.
- Add reserved pasta water or vegetable broth as needed to thin out the sauce to a desired consistency.
- Serve pasta with sauce, sprinkled with almonds.