Meet your new favorite vegetarian breakfast recipe – breakfast quesadillas made with fluffy scrambled eggs mixed with red onions, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro and topped with avocado. No gluten or dairy needed in this recipe. Crispy browned tortillas on the outside and soft egg and veggie mix on the inside. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Almost 20 g of protein per serving.
I haven’t had quesdaillas in forever, and I mean forever. Or Mexican food in general. And I’ve kind of forgotten how wonderful it really is.
Good thing Cinco de Mayo right around the corner has reminded me that I need more Mexican recipes in my life. Specifically quesadillas. Quesadillas are super super easy to make, yet so many people never make them. I’ve only got two quesadilla based recipes on the blog a dessert quesadilla recipe, and a classic chicken quesadilla recipe.
Also I am having some serious spelling error with the word quesdailla – there it is again – every time I want to write quesadilla the d jumps in before the a and it turns into a way less appetizing sounding word. Right? You try spelling quesadilla – does it always go well for you?
The food internet world is going nuts right nuts over Cinco de Mayo themed recipes, so why not join the club.
I’ve been renting an apartment in sunny and Spring like Sucre, Bolivia for the last week and making a lot of different quesadillas. Did you know they make for a perfect drunk late night snack? Yep some mashed avocado + veggies and crispy crunchy pan fried tortillas – oh yes. They go perfect after a night out with some local Bolivians and way too much red wine.
But turns out breakfast quesadillas are perfect too. Not sure why I hadn’t thought of it before. Since I’m currently over sunny side up eggs, I wanted a mix of scrambled eggs and veggies as the filling. Everything gets mixed together, the eggs with the veggies and a few spoonfuls of coconut milk for dairy free creaminess. And yes I was indeed super excited to find coconut milk readily available at the grocery store here in Sucre.
Once the eggs are cooked, layer them neatly on half of each tortilla and top with avocado slices. Pan fry until browned and a vegetarian breakfast is ready. Almost 20 grams of protein per serving. Not a bad start to the day at all.
Serves 1/2 recipe
Meet your new favorite breakfast recipe - breakfast quesdaillas made with fluffy scrambled eggs mixed with red onions, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro and topped with avocado. No gluten or dairy needed in this recipe. Crispy browned tortillas on the outside and soft egg and veggie mix on the inside. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Almost 20 g of protein per serving.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3-4 vegan gluten-free large corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 2-4 tablespoon coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- drizzle of lime juice
- In a bowl combine eggs, coconut milk and salt/pepper. Beat until smooth. To the same bowl add red onions, tomatoes, cilantro and balck beans. Mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add scrambled egg mixture and cook for a few minutes, stirring, until cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Divide scrambled egg mixture between the tortillas, layering only on one half of the tortilla.
- Top with avocado slices, and a drizzle of lime juice. Fold the tortilla in half.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat and add the folded in half tortilla. Cook on both sides until browned. Repeat with remaining tortillas.