Your favorite fall pumpkin rosemary flavors topped with a vegan ricotta stuffed zucchini ravioli and sprinkled with toasted walnuts. Dinner doesn’t get better than this. Low Carb, Paleo + Gluten Free too.
I hate to brag but this zucchini ravioli over pumpkin puree is hands down my new favorite recipe. You’re going to love this. This is pretty much fall in a nutshell.
But healthy. And vegan. And low carb. And gluten-free. And paleo. And all things wonderful and fall themed.
Heart pumpkin + coconut milk and rosemary puree, toasted walnuts, and the softest zucchini ravioli stuffed with a vegan ricotta herbed cheese is what we’re talking about today.
Are you as excited as I am?
Fall is all about everything pumpkin right? And I’ve got plenty of pumpkin recipes for you on here –> think vegan creamy pumpkin soup, or a vegan quinoa black bean pumpkin soup, vegan creamy pumpkin pasta with sage, etc. You get the idea.
Lots of pumpkin recipes. But these zucchini ravioli are not just one more. This is a recipe unlike any other.
The base of this recipe – the pumpkin puree is soft and fluffy – imagine taking a bite out a cloud, but one with a rich and familiar pumpkin flavor.
And with that cloud you’re also taking a bite of little magical parcels stuffed with whipped herbed vegan ricotta that you would never know isn’t the real thing.
And then some sprigs of rosemary are mixed in too, with a toasted crunchy walnut finishing off the bite.
Are you in foodie heaven with me? I’m drooling just thinking about these.
Now I’ve recently been on a zucchini mandolin-ing kick – first with my vegan zucchini rolls with cashew ricotta, mint and avocado and then with my zucchini rolls with hummus, mint, chicken and avocado.
The zucchini and the mandolin currently go hand in hand in my mind.
And since I’d already discovered that thin slices of zucchini + vegan herbed cashew ricotta were a good fit – it was only natural that I re purpose those two into vegan ricotta stuffed zucchini ravioli.
Now that part is a little tricky. Once the zucchini is thinly sliced and salted (to let some of that zucchini sweat come out), then you’ve got to lattice (is that the word?) 4 slices of zucchini together, over, under, over, under. You basically want the four slices locked in, so that they become one large zucchini striped rectangular shape.
Are you with me? This all makes perfect sense once you have the zucchini in front of you.
Add a hearty dollop of the herbed ricotta to the center and start sealing the zucchini ravioli, folding in one zucchini strip at a time.
You could actually serve these raw, and as is, but I wanted to get a light sear on them in a bit olive oil, but this part is entirely optional.
Now if you are making the whole recipe from scratch in one go, I recommend thinly slicing the zucchini and salting it to let it sweat before boiling the cubed pumpkin, that way once the vegan herbed ricotta is ready, you can pop that in the fridge to solidify a bit, while pureeing the pumpkin with the coconut milk and rosemary in the food processor.
You know how when you make something in the food processor you can never get it fully out of there? There’s always some delicious spoonful of sauce stuck in there, and it’s always a damn shame to have to just soak the food processor and let it go to waste.
Not the case here – not a drop of vegan herbed ricotta is wasted, because you just add the pumpkin right in there with whatever is left.
Am I resourceful or what?
Once the sauce is ready, set it aside and start making the pumpkin ravioli. Once you light sear that, you can serve that over the pumpkin sauce, topped with fresh chopped rosemary and crushed toasted walnuts.
One forkful of this and you’ll be lifted straight into foodie heaven. All your favorite fall flavors highlighted with super light and airy zucchini ravioli stuffed with herbed cashew ricotta.
Next time you want to impress your dinner guests/husband/partner/friend/fill in the blank — make this for them. Trust me on that.
Your favorite fall pumpkin rosemary flavors topped with a vegan ricotta stuffed zucchini ravioli and sprinkled with toasted walnuts. Dinner doesn't get better than this. Low Carb, Paleo + Gluten Free too.
45 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2-3 zucchini, thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups cubed pumpkin)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2-4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup toasted crushed walnuts
- 2 cups cashews, halved and soaked in water overnight, then rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Heat water in a pot over medium heat. Add salt. Bring to a boil and add pumpkin. Simmer until cooked through and soft when pierced with a fork (10-15 mins).
- Using a mandolin thinly slice zucchini and place sliced side by side on paper towels. Add salt. Let sweat for 5-15 minutes, patting them down with additional paper towel after.
- In a food processor combine cashews with water, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Process until almost smooth (this might take a few minutes. Remove mixture and place in bowl. Add cilantro, green onion, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Refrigerate until later.
- Once pumpkin is cooked, drain water and add to the food processor. Process until smooth. Add coconut milk, salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary.
- Take four zucchini sliced and make a lattice pattern out of them with two slices vertical and the other two horizontal.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of the herbed ricotta in the center and fold over the sides, closing the zucchini ravioli. Repeat with remaining zucchini and herbed ricotta.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan until. Lightly pan sear the zucchini ravioli on each side until browned.
- Serve zucchini ravioli over pumpkin puree, topped with chopped rosemary and toasted walnuts.
Calories 483 % Daily Value* Total Fat 34.5g 53% Saturated Fat 13g 65% Cholesterol 0g 0% Sodium 495.9mg 21% Total Carbohydrate 34.1g 11% Dietary Fiber 7.5g 30% Sugars 10.2g Protein 20g 40% Vitamin A 47% Vitamin C 70% Calcium 8% Iron 40%
If you like this you might also like: