Super simple shiitake mushrooms and sugar snap pea vegan soba noodle stir fry. Gluten-Free and ready in 30 minutes. One of the easiest vegan soba noodle recipes ever for your Asian themed dinner nights.
I kind of forgot about soba noodles for a while there. I mean I am all about a good stir fry and rice noodles are normally my favorite, but it was time to branch out a bit, which is why I’d like to share with you one of my favourite vegan soba noodle recipes.
I have just spent the last three weeks in San Juan, Puerto Rico, first on a family reunion with 11 of my family members, then with the parents of my boyfriend, D, and finally now just with D. Now, don’t get me wrong – Puerto Rican food has been lovely – plantains, rice, beans, yucca, fresh fish (snapper + grouper), it’s all been great.
But what I have come to learn about myself is when I have too much of any one cuisine, I very quickly start to crave Asian food. It has been a bit too much of arroz con gandules (a traditional dish of rice cooked with pigeon peas and a softrito made up of over veggies and herbs). I mean I do love a good fried smashed plantain, but I think I’d have my fill at this point.
I am seriously craving Asian flavors. Like remember when I got back from 6 months away in South America and Europe and only wanting to eat food with high doses of tamari ? Example A – Asian salmon salad with sesame ginger dressing, Exhibit B – Asian shrimp appetizer in avocado wasabi aioli cucumber rolls, Exhibit C – and my most favorite Vegan Asian cucumber noodle salad with ginger almond dressing.
If I am away from my own kitchen for too long I need to fill those Asian cravings somehow. Normally this results in going out for Japanese food abroad which more time is miss rather than hit. Tonight was another one of those meals. $70 in mediocre sushi for two, completely unmemorable and soon to be forgotten.
If only I had my fully stocked Asian kitchen with all my favorites so I could have filled my craving with one of my favourite Asian vegan soba noodle recipes instead.
Have you tried soba noodles before? They’re made with buckwheat which gives them super credit bonus points. They are way heartier than your standard Asian rice noodle and have a firmer texture. Great for a veggie heavy stir fry. To make this one super hearty and meaty I used two packages of shiitake mushrooms.
Any other shiitake mushrooms fans out there? Best mushrooms ever or what? Perfect vegan meat replacement. And for a bit of crunch I thinly sliced some sugar snap peas. First the shiitakes are cooked, then removed then the sugar snap peas are added, all while the soba noodles are boiling and you are whisking the sauce together. The sauce is a sweet + spicy + salty medley of classic Asian flavors, blending together tamari, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup and chili garlic sauce.
Once everything is ready it is all mixed together and served. Garnish with sesame seeds, scallions and Sriracha for a bit of a spicier kick.
The great thing about vegan soba noodle recipes is how versatile they are. You can make up your own recipe with your favourite ingredients or whip something up with whatever you have lying in your kitchen. In case of an emergency or for a last minute meal idea, just peer into your pantry to create multiple combinations for vegan soba noodle recipes on-the-spot.
Another great thing about creating vegan soba noodle recipes is that they are easy to scale up or down to serve one or more people – simply adjust ingredient portions to suit. Now this recipe serves 3, or 2 hungry people who love a good soba noodle stir fry.
I could have finished this whole portion by myself if only I didn’t have to share with others. This soba noodle stir fry is a perfect healthy vegan recipe that is filled with veggies and ready in under 30 minutes. A super simple Asian stir fry for a weeknight meal.
Once the holidays are over the New Years resolutions and 2017 detox sets in – and you’ll be happy to have this among your vegan soba noodle recipes to prepare for dinner!
Super simple shiitake mushrooms and sugar snap pea vegan soba noodle stir fry. Gluten-Free and ready in 30 minutes. Perfect healthy Asian themed dinner.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 7 ounces soba noodles (make sure they are gluten free for gluten free version)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 12 ounces sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (use maple syrup for vegan version)
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare soba noodles according to package directions. Once cooked, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a wok of frying pan.
- Cook mushrooms until cooked through, and lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- To the pan add thinly sliced sugar snap peas. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine ginger, sesame oil, tamari, rice vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), and chili garlic sauce. Whisk until smooth.
- To the sugar snap peas add the shiitake mushrooms, soba noodles and sauce.
- Mix until combined and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve topped with scallions and sesame seeds.