Make a super creamy parsnip soup vegan with sweet potatoes, white wine and coconut milk. Gluten-free too!
I need soup in my life right now.
All day every day.
It is cold, it is winter time. It is soup overload time. Today I already had two bowls of soup. A sad first showing of miso soup from a packet poured into a hotel room disposable cup and filled with coffee maker heated up water. That didn’t quite hit the spot.
Then at dinner in Los Alamos, New Mexico (which is where the atomic bomb was invented – how’s that for a bit of trivia for ya) I had a bowl of vegetarian lentil soup.
What I really wish I had, though, was a hot steaming bowl of creamy parsnip soup.
I know, parsnips are not the first ingredient you think of when it comes to a creamy soup, but you’ve got to give this delicious root vegetable a chance. I feel like parsnips are a highly underrated vegetable that you don’t see as the star of a dish too often. I mostly only see parsnip sprinkled around a bag of root vegetable chips. And that’s not ok, because parsnip is a star vegetable and needs to be embraced on it’s own! It does not need to be the backup act all the time.
I make roasted veggies all the time with butternut squash, sweet potatoes and parsnips, and seem to find myself gravitating to eating mostly the parsnips out of the bunch. There’s just something earthy and comforting about parsnips. They might currently be my favorite veggies.
So why not let those white carrot looking veggies shine on their own as the star of a hot creamy parnsip soup? Are ya with me?
This soup does require a bit of prep work since you first have to dice up the parsnips and sweet potatoes and then roast them, but trust me every bit of effort is worth it for this ever so slightly sweet, fragrant and spicy soup. If you have a kitchen assistant (boyfriend, fiance?) have them help you out here to make this process move along faster.
Once the veggies are roasted the soup making begins with a bit of onions sauteeing then deglazing to be followed up with a pour of broth and coconut milk. Then add in those fragrant veggies mix, and puree. Your creamy parnsip soup is almost ready!
The additional rosemary and crushed red pepper flakes make the soup flavors really pop and the parsnips are ever so slightly sweet and smooth.
Serve the creamy parnsip soup drizzled with a bit of high quality olive oil for a finishing touch!
Let me know what you think of this soup recipe in the comments below.
A super creamy parsnip soup with sweet potatoes, white wine and coconut milk. Both vegan and gluten-free.
- 3 large parsnips peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 5-6 cups)
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh rosemary as a garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl combine parsnips, sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, rosemary and salt. Toss to coat. Mix.
- Bake in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and soft.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium heat and add onion. Cook for a couple minutes until lightly browned.
- Add white wine and let the mixture bubble up for a couple minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, salt to taste and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Add squash and sweet potatoes to the pot. Cook for a couple minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender, food processor or blender.
- Garnish with extra rosemary, swirl of olive oil and pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
Recipe Adapted from A Calculated Whisk