Cucumber Appetizers are simply the best. These Vegan Asian Cucumber Rolls are the perfect refreshing bite of tangy Asian flavors of tofu, avocados, red pepper, and lightly pickled carrots & radishes. Low carb, low cal, healthy and gluten free! Cucumber appetizers get in my mouth.
Anyone else find cucumber to be the most crisp and refreshing summer vegetable? I mean, sure tomatoes are plump and juicy but there’s nothing like that crunch and crispness of a fresh cucumber. Cucumber + water literally brings the water to life. Try adding some cucumber rounds to a glass or pitcher of water, I promise you’ll love it and find that glass of water even more refreshing than ever before.
Summer scream fresh veggies to me and all sorts of light bite sized treats aka these cucumber appetizers. I found a similar recipe online once that inspired me to create these.
If you haven’t yet ventured down the foodie line of sushi roll making you can get that similar technique going first with these cucumber appetizers.
You do need one key kitchen gadget for this recipe though – a mandolin (this is the basic one I have, and here’s the fancy one I’d love to own). This is one of my favorite kitchen tools as it very quickly and precisely allows you to thinly slice all veggies. Always have to be careful with your fingers though – if you’ve had a mandolin long enough you’ll have at least one battle wound story to tell. Some mandolins are even sold with protective gloves so if you’re particularly clumsy in the kitchen, this might be the mandolin for you.
Once you’ve got those cucumbers thinly sliced, lightly pan fry the firm tofu, marinate the veggies, cut the avocado and start assembling the cucumber rolls!
- 1 long English cucumber
- 1 avocado cut into rectangular strips same as tofu
- 5 baby carrots cut into matchsticks
- 5 radishes cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into matchsticks
- 5 oz tofu cut into rectangular strips 1 by 1 1/2 inch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying the tofu
- "!For the marinade:"
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- "!Dipping sauce:"
- 2 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- toothpicks for serving
- Slice cucumber into long strips using mandolin slicer
- Combine 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon ginger, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon tamari and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a bowl and place carrots and radishes in this bowl to marinate.
- Pan fry the tofu over medium heat in olive oil until it is browned on both sides.
- Remove carrots and radishes from marinade.
- Place the cucumber slice in front of you and put a few pieces of carrots and radishes, then the red pepper, tofu, and avocado, each a little bit apart. Roll tightly. Repeat with remaining cucumber slices.
- Secure each roll with a toothpick.
- Serve with leftover marinade or dipping sauce.
Recipe Adapted from Madeline's Adaptations
*There are affiliate links in this post from which I would earn a small commission from your purchase*