Salmon Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Avocado and Feta is one of my favorite dinner meals. Impress your guests with a flavorful and fragrant pasta that only takes 30 minutes to make.
*Photo Updated May 2012
For my first post I decided to share one of my favorite recipes.
My aunt showed me how to make this salmon orzo dish last summer when I was interning in Sydney, Australia. Unfortunately (for us in the US) the avocados over there are more flavorful, but what can you do. Though on the other hand they also cost you an arm and a leg. Seriously though. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a single avocado priced at between 3-4$. A piece!
Are out outraged yet? If you ask me it’s a crime to make someone have to fork over so much money for this most delicious vibrant and healthy food. In the US when they’re on sale you can find an avocado for as low as 88 cents. I tell you I just bought one for that price the other day.
And to think you could be paying five times that amount in Sydney.
Putting my little avocado rant aside, you seriously need to make this dish as soon as possible. And by that I mean drop whatever you were thinking of doing and rush into the kitchen to storm the cabinets and fridge and look for the ingredients needed for this recipe. The avocados you’ve got to have ripening under the kitchen counter – just waiting for this salmon orzo dish to be made. The sun-dried tomatoes and the orzo have got to be in your pantry right? And as for the feta, well who doesn’t have feta stored in the fridge?
Don’t break my heart and tell me you can’t make this right now. This is hands down one of my favorite dinner recipes and my go to for new guests coming over to dine with us.
The flavors of the tomatoes, avocado and feta complement each other very well and most importantly dinner can be ready in under 30 minutes. How often can you really impress your guests and be out of the kitchen within 30 minutes?
And I love how this salmon orzo dish includes pasta, fish, vegetables and cheese all in one! Enjoy!
Let me know what you think of my salmon orzo in the comments below!
For more orzo recipe ideas be sure to make my orzo soup with kale and white bean.
Salmon orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Avocados and Feta is one of my favorite dinner meals. Impress your guests with a flavorful and fragrant pasta that only takes 30 minutes to make.
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 8 oz orzo use a gluten-free pasta, for gluten-free version
- 1 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 1/4 cup cubed feta cheese in oil and spices if you only have a block of feta, cut up into cubes and cover with olive oil and italian seasoning
- 1 avocado cubed
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce divided
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate salmon for 20 minutes - 1 hour in 2 teaspoons soy sauce, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper.
- Cook orzo according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Pan fry or grill salmon on medium heat 4-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness).
- Cut up cooked salmon into cubes or rectangular strips.
- In a large bowl combine orzo, salmon, sun-dried tomatoes, feta, avocado.
- Pour 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and a splash of lemon juice on top.
- Mix and enjoy!
- **(If mixture is too dry add some oil from sun-dried tomatoes)