This Pesto Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich will take the standard grilled cheese to a new level with the addition of avocado and pesto. You won’t get back to the regular grilled cheese!
I’m not sure why it took me so long to come up with this recipe. Avocados + pesto + grilled cheese = perfection. Avocado + anything sign me up, but throw in some pesto and cheese?
Well then I simply can’t resist.
I had my first real grilled cheese in high school (made by D). He would always make me grilled cheeses at his house.
It was a real treat. That buttery crisped bread, the gooey cheese, oh a perfect snack.
But the time has come for me to out do him and this avocado grilled cheese.
Time to take things to a new level with an avocado pesto combination – hence, this pesto avocado grilled cheese recipe.
Seriously next time you want a grilled cheese, jazz it up with the addition of avocado and pesto. And you can even easily adjust this recipe to be vegan by using vegan cheese instead. You will simply be amazed by the variety of vegan cheese on the market today.
You can almost find every single cheese variety in a vegan version nowadays. Years ago you could not find a single vegan cheese on the shelves – and now they’re hitting the mainstream like crazy! I personally find this to be amazing as I try to follow a dairy free diet, but it’s hard to do without any cheese – but with the vegan cheese it’s so much easier since I can fulfill all my cheese cravings with a plant based replacement. And I mean they seriously taste like real cheese too (from what I remember real cheese to taste like). Also to make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free bread instead of regular bread.
The appearance of gluten free bread in regular grocery stores also amazes me – there are so many different brands to choose from. You can even find gluten free baguettes now on the shelves, and if you ask me they taste like the real thing too!
You might even get away with calling this a sophisticated sandwich. Hey why not right?!
Let me know what you think of this avocado grilled cheese in the comments below!
Spice up your regular grilled cheese with you addition of avocado and pesto. You'll never go back to the plain old grilled cheese when you try one bite of this avocado grilled cheese.
- 4 slices bread use gluten free bread for gluten free version
- 2-4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 avocado
- 2-4 tablespoons basil pesto
- sharp cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- Add pesto to one side of each piece of bread. Top pesto with cheese, avocado, and another layer of cheese. Top with other piece of bread (pesto side down). Repeat for second sandwich.
- Butter the outside of the bread and add to a pan heated over medium heat (butter side down).
- Butter the other piece of bread (the one on top) Cook until lightly browned on one side and flip over to the buttered side. Cook until browned. Repeat for the other sandwich.