This vegan and gluten free Quinoa, Tomato, Cucumber and Alfalfa Sprouts Salad is really asy to make and full of fresh summer flavors.
It’s been a few days since I last posted a recipe but I promise I’ve got a good excuse. This past Friday was a big day for me. It was my last day of work in Washington DC and the day D and I moved out of our apartment. Yep we are officially no longer DC residents and more accurately can now be described as “homeless” (unless of course we can still claim our parents’ homes as our own). So while working full time last week we were also scrambling to pack up the apartment. You would think there couldn’t be that much stuff in a 519 square foot apartment but you’d be surprised. It was obscene how much stuff we (correction- I) had. I’ve come to the realization that I am in fact a complete hoarder. This became clear as D was ripping an old movie ticket stub out of my death grip. It was from a movie we saw last year that I didn’t even like, yet felt the need to hold on to it for memorabilia.
Let me tell you – moving is stressful. Made even more stressful when you’ve been sleep deprived for weeks and your irritability is through the roof. Thankfully D has been blessed with significantly more patience than I have and was a real trooper with tolerating my daily temper tantrums.
As my last day of work came to a close I rushed home to finish up last minute packing and cleaning. We had to be out of the apartment by 5pm so we just made sure we had at least moved all of our junk into the hallway by then. 2 hours of heavy lifting later we were ready to go. With D in the budget truck and me driving his car we hit the road. Our first stop – northern New Jersey where my cousins live and where we spent the night. I couldn’t have been happier to have finally reached our first destination at 1am.
Have you ever gone through the process of moving out? Need to use up some of your produce in the fridge before you go? This quinoa and alfalfa sprouts salad is a perfect way to get rid of your veggies without having to throw them away. I made this a couple days before we moved out and it’s delicious either hot or cold. With quinoa, tomato and cucumber, this alfalfa sprouts salad is the perfect vegan, gluten free and dairy free salad for any occasion.
And now only 5 days remain until we start our 2 year backpacking trip!
A simple vegan entree or side dish full of fresh veggies
5 mins Prep Time
25 mins Cook Time
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
- 2 small cucumbers, quartered and sliced
- 2 ounces alfalfa sprouts, torn apart
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced,
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Heat olive in a pot over medium heat. Add garlic and quinoa and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally until lightly toasted.
- Add broth or water, increase heat to high, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, alfalfa sprouts and quinoa. Pour lemon juice and red wine vinegar over the quinoa and mix until combined. Serve warm or cold.