Shrimp scampi pasta comes together in under 30 minutes and makes for an easy and comforting weeknight dinner. Even my boyfriend was able to follow the recipe and make this into a flawless dinner for me!
Switching gears again.
I know you were all expecting a Thai recipe (weren’t you) but I’m in a pasta mood today. In almost 4 months of traveling can you guess how many times I’ve had American/Italian style pizza?
In Kyoto, Japan less than a week into our traveling adventures, after a home cooked Japanese meal I (as promised) treated our Couchsurfing hosts to an American meal – pasta.
Trust me, trying to buy ingredients for an Italian themed dish in a Japanese grocery store is slightly tricky. With all the labels in Japanese I could only hope that the mini dairy-esque container I selected was heavy cream and the bag of yellow strips was indeed shredded cheese (preferably Parmesan or Cheddar and hopefully not the dreadful American plastic tasting one).
The pasta meal was a success with our surgeon host who said it was better than the pasta dish at the local Ritz Carlton (a slight exaggeration probably) and the 1 year old baby slurping the noodles through its few teeth.
Since that night it’s basically been all Asian food for the last 3+ months (with a sprinkling of Pizza Hut and fast food here and there of course).
So, though I haven’t made this shrimp scampi pasta dish in a while, it was one of the last recipes I made before embarking on this journey, and it’s about time I share it!
For shrimp and pasta lovers out there I say this shrimp scampi pasta dish is perfect. For me? I’m perfectly happy eating my shrimp with mayonnaise, sans pasta, but I somehow doubt anyone else agrees…
This recipe is fairly simple but with fresh quality ingredients you really don’t need too much. Aim for the best Parmesan – it’ll make a world of difference.
Next time I prepare a meal for our couchsurfing hosts, perhaps I’ll go with this one…
Let me know what you think of this shrimp scampi pasta in the comments below.
For other pasta recipe ideas be sure to try my cauliflower pasta with pumpkin and cauli pesto.
Scrimp scampi pasta comes together in under 30 minutes and makes for an easy and comforting weeknight dinner. Even my boyfriend was able to follow the recipe and make this into a flawless dinner for me!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon juiced and 1/2 lemon zested
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 ounce basil slivered
- 1/2 cup Parmesan grated or shredded
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta use brown rice pasta for gluten free version, cooked according to package directions
- Melt butter and olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes, shallots and garlic. Cook until fragrant 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest and white wine. Cook until shrimp is cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat. Add parmesan and basil, mix until combined.
- Serve over pasta, sprinkled with extra basil and Parmesan.