This turkey pesto panini with roasted red pepper uses just 6 ingredients and is fuss-free to make. Ready in under 30 minutes, it’s perfect for those lazy nights when you’re not in the mood to make dinner. Gluten-free too!
Ever feel too lazy to make dinner? Well this rarely happens to me but every now and then I just don’t feel like making a full fledged meal. The joys of being able to cook allow me this luxury. I can make whatever I want and so when I feel like making a turkey pesto panini for dinner I make it happen.
I really don’t eat bread often. To be honest I only eat it when I’m on vacation (weekend getaways count) or hung over. Any other time I just rationalize that the added calories are not worth it. On this day though, (following Julia Robert’s mentality in Eat Pray Love) I was sick of the calorie counting, self-punishing behavior and just decided to have sandwiches for dinner.
A turkey pesto panini may not be the healthiest option to go for, but it’s so effortlessly delicious, you’ve just got to treat yourself sometimes right?
No panini maker? Not a problem. Just place the sandwich in a grill pan and top it with an incredibly heavy object – if you’ve got a cast iron pan or dutch oven that’ll be perfect. Flip it over and do the same thing. Ta-da – paninis are ready.
As for the filling – I just went with what I had in the fridge. It’s a turkey pesto panini recipe, but really, any suitable substitutes you have in the fridge will do. As with everything else cooking-related, the possibilities are endless.
I fully enjoyed my turkey pesto panini. Want proof? Well D could only muster himself out of a nap to eat half his sandwich so while he went back to snoozing I ate the other half (as well as my own full turkey pesto panini).
Now I remember why I limit my bread eating to only vacation or hang over days – because there just isn’t any self control over here.
What’s your favorite panini? Any suggestions for what to add to my next one?
Let me know what you think of this turkey pesto panini in the comments below!
A perfect lunch time sandwich or quick dinner meal - make this turkey pesto panini asap
- 2 large piece focaccia cut in half (use gluten free bread for gluten free version)
- 1/4 pound turkey cold cuts
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/2 to mato sliced
- 2-4 tablespoons pesto
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese thinly sliced (use vegan cheese for a dairy free version)
- Spread pesto on each piece of bread. Split up topping between both sandwiches and layer them on top of the bottom bread piece. Top with other bread piece.
- Heat grill pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add sandwiches and place large heavy pan on top (dutch oven is perfect). Cook for several minutes.
- Flip over and repeat. Serve hot!