Vegan Asian Bowl with Quinoa Mushroom make for the perfect meatless weeknight meal. Packed with hearty mushrooms and crispy baby broccoli, all enveloped in a sesame oil tamari sauce. Comforting with a hint of spice. Gluten Free too.
I cannot believe I have been back in the US for over four months now.
Over four months. And the majority of that time I have spent up in Massachusetts staying with my parents. I haven’t spent this much at home probably since I graduated high school back in 2006.
Where does the time go?
At only 26 years old I already feel like it is quickly sliding away. Not slowly slipping but briskly running from me. I mean people say time moves fast when you get older, but a little bit more of a warning would have been nice.
Before I came home from traveling I was under the impression that I would have tons of free time at home. I set all these goals for myself. Watch a new documentary every week, read lots of books, bike the 10 miles to D’s house, create a product to sell on Etsy, etc.
How many of those have been ticked off the list?
No time. Am I just making excuses though? Would I have made time for those things if I really wanted to get them done?
I mean, I did put in the 45 minutes to make these vegan Asian bowl, but then again when it comes to food and cooking up a storm that’s when I always seem to have lots of time.
If you’re too busy for all those other mental goals and hurdles you’ve set for yourself, just settle for a good vegan Asian bowl of stir fried veggies with quinoa for dinner.
A few months ago I made a Thai veggie quinoa bowl (also gluten-free and vegan) which was a big hit, and years ago I fell in love with a toasted quinoa mushroom dish, so it was time to create something new but similar.
This powerhouse of nutrients and vitamins is packed with hearty mushrooms, crunchy baby broccoli, sharp arugula and a lightly spicy tamari sauce. For added flavor and crunch I topped the quinoa bowls with seaweed flakes, sesame seeds and a few dots of Sriracha.
Dinner is served.
Eat your vegan Asian bowl with chopsticks for an even more delicious dining experience.
Vegan Asian Quinoa Veggie Bowls make for the perfect meatless weeknight meal. Packed with hearty mushrooms and crispy baby broccoli, all enveloped in a sesame oil tamari sauce. Comforting with a hint of spice.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed arugula
- 8 oz baby broccoli, stems cut off and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari
- 1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
- garnish with sriracha, sesame seeds, and seaweed flakes (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium heat and add the 3 cloves minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until aromatic and add the quinoa. Toast the quinoa until lightly browned and add 2 cups water. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the shiitake mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until cooked through and browned. Remove from pan.
- To the same pan add the baby bella mushrooms and repeat. Add back the shiitake mushrooms and add the tablespoon minced ginger and garlic. Cook until aromatic and mix with the mushrooms. Remove.
- To the same pan add the baby broccoli and cook for a couple minutes until softened. Add the mushroom mixture back to the pan and mix everything together.
- In a small bowls combine the sesame oil, tamari and chili garlic sauce.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, arugula, sauce, mushroom broccoli mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Serve garnished with sriracha, sesame seeds and seaweed flakes.
This post has been shared on Melt in Your Mouth Mondays,Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mostly Home Made Mondays , , Tasty Tuesday ,Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays,The Wednesday Roundup, Allergy-Free Wednesdays,, Full Plate Thursdays, Pennywise Platter Thursday , Gluten Free Fridays,