Vegan Asian Carrot Noodles with Tahini Sauce make for the ultimate meatless gluten free dinner. Crunchy carrots, crisp lettuce, soft noodles all enveloped in a creamy sesame oil infused Asian tahini sauce. Ready in 20 minutes or less!
Whenever I think of carrots my mind always wanders to this guy Gil, who D and I met while on the Tiger Leaping Gorge hike in China. He was a short and small Israeli with a distinct accent in English and when our big group sat down to lunch on the first day he so elaborately and ridiculously was describing his utter disdain for carrots that the whole table was in an uproar of laughter.
So that was Gil with this loathing of carrots. At the time I found the statement to be absurd. I mean who feels that strongly about carrots?
I mean probably one of the most harmless veggies ever right?
Well over the years I seem to have been inching closer and closer to his way of thinking. I don’t know what happened but all of a sudden I stopped liking carrots. They just stopped appealing to me. I would literally eat around them and leave them on my plate – I mean this is an unheard of behavior for me.
But then randomly I spotted a carrot focused recipe on the Naturally Ella blog and I decided it was time to give carrots another chance. If there was ever a recipe where they could redeem themselves in my mind it was right here at carrot noodles
This was their last chance.
How’d they do? They have officially secured themselves a spot back in my life.
Maybe they just need to be served peeled in long ribbon strands all the time. So YES to carrot noodles! This might just be when they are at their best. This vegan Asian carrot noodles recipe is simply perfect. Ready in under 20 (yes that is twenty) minutes all you need to cook are the mung bean (or rice) noodles which literally take 60 seconds. Everything else just gets peeled, chopped, whisked, mixed. The sauce is incredible. I was so happy to have spotted the last bottle of tahini of the shelves of our small Costa Rican village grocery store. Better than peanut butter, tahini makes a creamy base to be infused with other Asian style ingredients – tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce.
Just imagine crunchy carrots, crisp lettuce, soft noodles all coated in a super creamy salty, spicy, sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, almonds, and cilantro for a finishing touch.
If you love these carrot noodles be sure to check out my Vegan Asian sesame noodles with cucumbers and herbs
How to make vegan Asian carrot noodles
Vegan Asian Carrot Noodles with Carrots and Tahini Sauce make for the ultimate meatless gluten free dinner. Crunchy carrots, crisp lettuce, soft noodles all enveloped in a creamy sesame oil infused Asian tahini sauce.
- 4 ounces thin mung bean noodles or thin rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 carrots in thin strips using a vegetable peeled
- 1 head butter lettuce finely sliced
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- For the sauce:
- 4 and 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce sambal oleok
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil toasted
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- In a bowl combine all the sauce ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Once noodles are cooked, rinse and drain them in cold water.
- In a large bowl combine noodles, carrots and lettuce. Toss until mixed.
- Serve noodle veggie mix topped with cilantro, tahini sauce, sesame seeds and almonds.
Recipe Adapted From Naturally Ella