A super comforting and rich vegan cauliflower stew made with lentils, squash and an incredible blender made sauce. Easy dinner recipe. 16g of protein per serving.
Happy Earth day everyone! In honor of this day, I’m happy to share a veggie heavy recipe ->vegan cauliflower stew made with a ton of fresh veggies.
I’ve been on a real veggie heavy kick lately. I don’t know what it is I’ve just been craving vegetables, in large quantities recently. All about the vegan meals.
This cauliflower stew was actually inspired by my vegan Peruvian hearty vegetable stew with pumpkin and fava beans. The base of that recipe is made in the blender – and I wanted to recreate that concept but with a different set of ingredients for this cauliflower stew.
In this recipe garlic, onion, tomatoes, basil and olive oil all get pureed into the blender into a fragrant liquidty sauce. This then is cooked for a few minutes in a large pot before the other ingredients are added – mainly the lentils, cauliflower and squash.
Now this dish is not exactly photogenic and the colors do not make for the best food photos, but trust me on this – it is delicious.
Serve over fluffy quinoa with a drizzle of lime juice for an uber healthy feel good comforting meal.
A vegan cauliflower stew with hearty protein packed lentils and soft squash is a perfect dinner to celebrate Earth day. No animal products needed in this recipe. Simply pure vegetables with a bit of olive oil and lentils is all you need.
It is simply amazing to me that a few veggies blended together can make for such an aromatic and flavorful base for this curry. Spice usage is minimal, as I didn’t have much to work with, but feel free to add cumin, turmeric, curry powder and coriander if you like. The stew will take on more of a curry taste, but that works too. Entirely up to you!
That’s what I love most about cooking – the endless variety in each recipe with just the slightest adjustments in ingredients and substitutions.
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 3 cups tomatoes diced
- 1 cup basil chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup baby lentils
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 zucchini halved and quartered
- handful spinach chopped
- salt/pepper/paprika to taste
- garnish: lime juice
- 1 cup quinoa cooked according to package directions.
- In a blender combine garlic, onion, tomatoes, basil, salt to taste and olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Heat pot over medium-high heat and add blender mixture. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Add lentils to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add caulfilower to pot. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini to pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach to the pot, stir and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve over cooked quinoa, drizzled with lime juice.