A simple Thai classic full of flavors. Chicken Penang Curry is a rich curry paste mixed with coconut milk and Thai ingredients for a hearty and creamy chicken curry stir fry dish. Gluten free and dairy free too.
Traveling and not gaining weight in no easy task. I mean sure, there are days when I’m out walking all day, but there are also those days when I’m on a bus all day. But there’s always one constant – an abundance of new and delicious food.
And no matter how much exercise I’m getting I just can’t seem to say no. It’s the worst in Thailand though, where there are literally 5 food stalls on one block, all serving mouth watering drool worthy food. I just have no self control. I mean who knows the next time I’ll be able to find this food cart? What if this one just happens to be the best one in the country? I can’t possibly miss out on that.
And so it’s a constant battle.
D on the other hand has the opposite problem. He can’t seem to travel and gain weight. He’s not as obsessed with food as I am so doesn’t feel the need to stuff himself to a pulp at every meal, and the additional exercise seems to just be boosting his metabolism.
There needs to be a balance. D needs to eat more, and I need to eat less. But not just more, a healthy more. This can be hard to achieve when you no longer have your own kitchen to whip up meals.
So what have we resorted to? Lots of nuts. Peanuts. A healthy and cheap snack and always available at the convenience store. And they’re good too, so good. Especially when they’re added to food, which the Thais have mastered.
And so I present to you chicken penang curry – a curry similar to red curry but with the addition of peanuts. The final dish is this chicken penang curry has that perfect lip smacking nutty flavor. Pair that with the creamy coconut milk consistency and you’ve got yourself a winner right here.
This chicken penang curry is perfect for Asian themed dinner nights. And the best part is, it’s ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Penang Curry is an authentic Thai curry recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes. A Gluten Free & Dairy Free dinner
- 1/2 cup sliced chicken use tofu for vegan version
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce use gluten free tamari for vegan version
- 1 tablespoon ground roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons sliced red chilies for garnish
- 1/2 cup long beans cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoons tamarind paste
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-low heat and add curry paste. Cook until fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium and add 1/3 of the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add 1/3 of the coconut milk and bring to a boil again and then add remaining coconut milk.
- Add the chicken and stir until chicken is cooked.
- Add fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind paste and ground roasted peanuts.
- Add shredded kaffir lime leaves, long beans and keep stirring until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Serve over rice and garnish with red chilies and kaffir lime leaves.
Recipe from Silom Thai Cooking School