One of my closest friends, S, from college is currently visiting us in Thailand. I love hosting people and especially love having friends over so this has been a great week for me.
We’ve been swimming, tanning, riding a motorbike around town, watching movies and most of all eating – my favorite activity.
I love to cook as much as I love to eat so could just hover between kitchen and table all day long.
One thing I hate though? Cleaning.
Without a dishwasher and with a kitchen measured more for a 5’2 person than for a 5’7 one, cleaning becomes even more of a hassle.
Luckily for me though, this week I have my very own kitchen assistant, S. She grabs things from the fridge for me, and best of all cleans up all the kitchen messes.
Who could ask for a better house guest?
I made this cauliflower couscous salad for lunch the other week and seriously love love loved it.
The taste of the lightly fried and crispy garlic, with the toasted nutty almonds, the soft cauliflower and then the rich sauce is just perfect. Perfect harmony. This comes together in under 40 minutes. The couscous cooks in literally no time, and you want to pan fry the garlic to turn it into crispy chips and then use that now garlic infused oil to pan sear the cauliflower. I like to cut the cauliflower into mini steaks to get a nice even sear on each side.
Then the dressing here with mayo (vegan mayo for vegan version) and whole grain dijon is just the bomb. Might be my new favorite dressing ever.
So I made this cauliflower couscous salad again the other day for lunch and loved it even more.
A new go to lunch recipe. If you make this cauliflower couscous salad recipe please let me know in the comments below!
Simple cauliflower couscous salad with toasted almonds and garlic. This dinner dish will blow your mind. Dairy free and can be made vegan
- 1 head cauliflower cut up
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 2 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup couscous use quinoa for gluten-free version
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat and add sliced garlic cloves. Cook until garlic is lightly browned and then remove from pan.
- To pan add cut up cauliflower, only add half at a time if pan can't hold all the cauliflower. Cook until browned, flip over and cook on other side until browned. Remove and add remaining cauliflower. Add salt to taste.
- While cauliflower is cooking add 1 tablespoon oil to pot and add couscous. Cook 1-2 mins until lightly toasted. Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover with a lid for 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine minced garlic, mustard, lemon juice, zest and mayonnaise. Mix until smooth.
- Serve couscous topped with cauliflower, sliced almonds, garlic and dressing.
For a vegan version use vegan mayo