Zucchini ratatouille is the perfect vegan and plant based one pot dinner. Veggie packed with protein too from the white beans. Gluten-Free too!
Ratatouille is the perfect dish to make when you’ve got some leftover veggies and want to make a one pot meal with them. If you’re on a low carb diet, just have the ratatouille as a main dish, or if you want some extra carbs, serve it over couscous.
Normally I make ratatouille with eggplant and red peppers but in this case I simply didn’t have any on hand, and regular purple long eggplant can be a bit hard to come by here in Thailand.
And so I improvised by making this zucchini ratatouille without eggplant. Why not just have zucchini as the star? Who needs that eggplant anyway, right?
So this surprisingly delicious zucchini Ratatouille without Eggplant features white beans, fresh cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomato pesto seemed like a perfect substitute for the missing eggplant and red pepper. The sun-dried tomato pesto is super concentrated and packed full of flavor that is just perfect in this zucchini ratatouille.
Still with me?
Now I’m no cooking genius, so yes, sometimes I go into the kitchen with an idea, improvise and come out with an ok-ish dish. This time though this really came out amazing.
I was impressed (and so was D).
I just snagged some fresh sweet basil from the nearby grocery store and added it in large quantities to this dish. Oh and lots of garlic of course, can’t go without that. Fresh herbs really do wonders to a recipe!
Don’t worry, if you don’t have fresh herbs or garlic on hand use dried herbs or powdered garlic instead. Let me know what you think of this zucchini ratatouille in the comments below!
A simple one pot meal - dairy free, gluten free and vegan zucchini ratatouille with a twist. Make this for dinner!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 zucchini halved and thinly sliced
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Schwartz garlic granules
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 container cherry tomatoes halved,
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomato pesto make sure it is cheese free for dairy free or vegan version
- 1 can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until lightly cooked through and add zucchini and garlic granules, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-low heat until zucchini is soft (10-15 minutes).
- Add basil and mix.
- Add tomatoes and pesto. Let cook for a few minutes.
- Add cannellini beans.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and mix until combined.
- Serve sprinkled with extra fresh basil and green onions, over couscous or plain.