Low carb, light and refreshing Mexican turkey taco lettuce wraps make for the perfect 30 minute weeknight meal. Made with home made taco seasoning and topped with black beans, red onions, cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice. Gluten Free and Dairy Free too.
It’s been an exhilarating few days around these parts. On Friday D surprised me with a skydiving adventure for my 27th birthday and just today my dad and I both tested out flyboarding over a lake in Northern Massachusetts.
Not a bad two days if you ask me.
I’m all about the adrenaline activities. Though I have figured out what my thing is. Roller coasters, bungee jumping, skydiving – that’s my type of adrenaline. It’s more about controlled risk.
In all those instances realistically someone else is calling the shots – I’m just participating in what has already been crafted and laid out for me.
These types of things I feel more comfortable with than activities whose success actually depends on my own physical ability and skill set. Intense hiking, rock climbing, high level tree ropes course — all those make me way more anxious than actually jumping out of a plane strapped to an instructor.
Now you’re probably wondering what Mexican turkey taco lettuce wraps have to do with adrenaline hobbies right?
Well if you, like me, have been filling your days with jumping out of planes, flying over water or just spending way too much time trying to find the perfect hostel in each destination in Nicaragua (more on that later), then you probably don’t have much time or mental capacity to think about cooking dinner.
That’s where these crunchy, meaty, hearty, delicious lettuce wraps come in. With a home made taco seasoning mix – mostly a lot of paprika – my fave, everything here is made from scratch and ready from start to finish in under 30 minutes.
Low carb, low cal, light and hearty at the same time. These turkey taco lettuce wraps just about covers all the bases and provides you with the energy and fuel for whatever activity you’ve got coming up!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 onion)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced (about 5 cloves)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can black beans
- romaine leaves
- red onion thinly sliced
- cilantro chopped
- avocado chopped
- lime juice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan. Add onions, Cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey and spices (salt, cumin, paprikas, oregano, garlic powder and red pepper flakes). Cook until turkey is cooked through.
- Add black beans, mix and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve on romaine leaves topped with red onions, cilantro, avocado and lime juice.