This month’s daring bakers challenge was Armenian themed. The mandatory component was to prepare either nazook or nutmeg cake. Since in the realm of sweets I generally dislike cakes I went with the nazook – an Armenian pastry filled with vanilla and sugar. I printed out the recipe, placed in neatly on the counter and set to work – yet somehow I managed to misread multiple parts of it. Does that ever happen to you? You feel like you’re reading something but then all of a sudden realize you didn’t absorb any information and can’t remember a thing. Well that’s how following this recipe went for me. Guess I must have been in heavy day dreaming mode. What did this lead to? I ended up adding a whole stick of butter to the filling instead of 6 tablespoons, forgot to sift the flour for the filling, didn’t pat down the second dough roll, only added 1/2 teaspoon vanilla instead of a whole teaspoon and way over mixed the filling overall so that it more closely resembled dough rather than damp sand. Oops. Well I wasn’t going to start all over again so I just hoped for the best.
The overall finished product was delicious. Both crispy and smooth at the same time. Not too sweet, but just sweet enough.
Armenian Pastry bites filling with walnut mixture
60 minsPrep Time
30 minsCook Time
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) softened butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- For the Dough:
- Place sifted flour in a bowl. Add yeast and mix. Add sour cream and softened butter.
- Using pastry cutter or your fingers work the mixture into a dough.
- Continue to knead for 10 minutes or until dough no longer sticks to the bowl and your hands.
- Place in a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3-5 hours or overnight.
- For the Filling:
- Combine flour, sugar and butter in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers mix.
- Add vanilla extra and walnuts, mix until filling looks clumpy like damp sand.
- Forming the Nazook:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut dough in half, roll one half into a bowl and place on lightly floured counter. Roll the dough out until it is thin but not transparent.
- Spread half the filling over the dough (as close as possible to edges on the short side, and 1/2-1 inch away from the edge of the dough on the long side).
- From the long side, slowly start rolling the dough up. Flatten the roll slightly and brush with the egg wash. Use a knife to cut the dough into 10 even pieces.
- Place dough pieces on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with other dough ball.
- Bake 30 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Recipe from Aunt Aida