As D mentioned in the monthly traffic and income update I recently completed my first ever cooking class here in China. So bear with me while I organize all the photos and recipes, but don’t you worry, I have some delicious Chinese recipes coming soon to the blog!
Until then though, it’s grilled zucchini. In my mind, zucchini was just made to be grilled. Somehow with those added char lines the flavors seem to come alive. With all the different ways to prepare zucchini my favorite is always to grill it. Even just on the grill pan makes all the difference. No need to bust out the whole summer set up to prepare this dish – a simple IKEA grill pan does the trick.
As for the sauce – minced garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. A splash of Asian flavors into the classic Italian creates a perfect international blend of flavors for a simple dinner side dish.
Go light on the oil to keep the dish as healthy as possible. This is something I think the Chinese have not quite mastered yet – oil free veggie sides. We’ve been in China for a little over 3 weeks now and without any kitchen access and therefore dining out all the time. We try to order veggie sides to add in some nutrition and healthy options. Well of the side’s we’ve ordered the veggies are frequently dripping with oil.
Take your set of napkins and soak up the grease. It’s more like oil with a side of steamed bok choy. The search continues though! I am determined to find some veggie sides here without the oil.
In the meantime, I’ll sit back and think of my grilled zucchini days….
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add zucchini to pan and lightly grill on both sides until zucchini is soft.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic and garlic.
- After zucchini is grilled using a knife make a few indentations in each slice, without cutting all the way through.
- Drizzle sauce over the zucchini and serve hot.