Bring some life to a standard Thai shrimp red curry with the addition of fresh pineapple. A vibrant and refreshing combination of flavors that will have you craving more. Both Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free.
How do you feel about fruit added to your food? Are you a fan? I’m usually not. I generally prefer my fruit separate and never really jumped on the adding berries to salad bandwagon. So when I saw that at the Blue Elephant cooking school we were going to make a red curry with pineapple, I was beyond skeptical.
Doesn’t pineapple shine so well on its own?
Well, apparently it performs even better with back-up.
The addition of pineapple to this red curry with shrimp really brought it the next level and added that extra oomph to the dish.
I can’t quite put my finger on it, but the large pieces of the juicy fruit truly complemented all the flavors in this dish and brought an element of freshness. The curry instantly felt lighter. Sometimes a Thai curry can be a bit heavy, what with the veggies or protein and all that creamy coconut milk. With the refreshing pineapple though it’s a whole different story.
The pineapple makes the flavors just pop and really gives you a hit of fresh surprisingly flavors once you have that first mouthful.
I guess next time I’ll have to give the salad with the strawberries a shot. Perhaps that’s not bad either.
And no worries if you can’t be convinced that pineapple is a killer addition to the dish, simply omit it. It’s good that way too!
Trust me on this, they are all delicious, but this pineapple filled red curry right here might just have quickly jumped a few slots to number one.
I’ve got to try adding pineapple to some other savory dishes. Do you have any ideas? Where else could pineapple really complement the flavors?
Share your thoughts on adding fruit to savory dishes in the comments below. I would love to hear what you think.
Take your red curry with shrimp to the next level with the addition of pineapple! A perfect complement to all the other Thai flavors
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 5 large shrimp, peeled deveined and butterflied,
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 small cut fresh pineapple, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 piece red chili, deseeded and sliced on a diagonal
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, removed from stem and ripped in half
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Heat vegetable oil, and red curry paste in a saucepan over medium heat until aromatic.
- Add 1/3 of the coconut milk, mixing with the red curry paste and bring to a boil and then adding another 1/3 of the coconut milk and repeat with the remaining coconut milk. Add fresh pineapple.
- Add fish sauce and white sugar, mix until incorporated.
- Bring the curry to a boil, add shrimp and cook until shrimp is cooked through. Add chili, kaffir lime leaf and basil leaves.
- Remove from heat. Serve over rice.
Recipe from Blue Elephant Cooking School