Gluten free Cheese Puffs only require 1 bowl and a handful of ingredients but are super light and fluffy balls of cheesy goodness. Perfect as an appetizer or side dish to a dinner meal.
These gluten free cheese puffs are a good appetizer or just good to have lying around the house for when you get bored and want to grab a quick snack. The recipe includes a substantial amount of eggs – 4 for 24 puffs so I do feel that contributes to the flavor significantly. But these are pretty easy to make and don’t require any extraordinary ingredients.
I used extra sharp cheddar cheese but these can really be made with any type of cheese. The possibilities are therefore endless. I have made these with gruyere also, which makes for a killer strong cheesey flavored puff.
There’s just something so incredibly about these oven baked cheese puffs. The dough comes together so quickly — all in one pot and it’s unlike any dough I have every made before. The butter is heated up with other ingredients and then the flour is added quite slowly, making sure that the consistency is creamy and smooth — we don’t want any small specks on flour that hasn’t been perfectly mixed in!
And then you add in the eggs. You have to be super careful though — making sure to let the hot mix cool down a bit — otherwise instead of cheese puffs, you’ll have a warm dough with scrambled eggs — not exactly what we’re going for here.
Once you have the eggs hit the dough at the right time, it all mixes up together nicely and then with a scoop, an ice cream scoop works perfectly, you portion out the dough and place onto a baking sheet.
I have considered adding some pesto to the dough to see how that will work but haven’t yet done so, but will report back when I do!
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes
Cheese Puffs only require 1 bowl and a handful of ingredients but are super light and fluffy balls of cheesey goodness. Perfect as an appetizer or side dish to a dinner meal.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sal
- 1 cup flour (use gluten-free flour for gluten free version)
- 4 large eggs
- 5 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan, grated
- Preheat over to 425 degree F. In a saucepan combine water, butter and salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the flour all at once, stirring together with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool for 5-10 minutes (to make sure the eggs don’t cook instantly when they mix with the dough). Add the eggs one at a time stirring after each one until just combined.
- Mix in the cheese and thyme.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out balls and place them an inch apart on parchment paper. Cook for 10 minutes and then decrease temperature to 350 degrees and cook for 15-20 until cooked through.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan.