A smooth and creamy Thai spiced gluten free peanut sauce made with coconut milk, curry pastes and real roasted peanuts (along with a splash of other key Thai ingredients). The only peanut sauce recipe you will ever need.
I normally don’t set aside a separate post for sauces, but honestly this gluten free peanut sauce was so out-of-this-world that it deserves it’s own spot on the blog.
I mean this doesn’t even compare to those bottled, pre-packaged, additive ridden sauces.
This is made from the heart and it shows.
I might even consider eating it by the spoonful next time. It’s a lot more flavorful than peanut butter and has a better consistency too (I do find pb too goppy for me – always gets clogged in my throat if you ask me).
So next time you need a peanut based sauce, be sure to make this one. Normally my first thought with a peanut based sauce is that it is peanut butter diluted and thinned out with a few key ingredients. Not the case here. This one is made with real roasted peanuts and a whole gaggle of other key Thai ingredients. Some of these include curry pastes, tamarind sauce, fish sauce, coconut milk. It might seem a bit intimidating at first.
But if you are a Thai food cooking afficiando you most likely already have these ingredients on hand already. All you got to do is mix them up and voila the best peanut sauce ever is ready for you.
If you don’t already have that handful of ingredients you might have to seek them out, but it’s worth it. The sauce is perfect as a dip for just about anything I imagine. Fresh spring rolls would be incredible with a delicious peanutty coating.
Can be stored in the refrigerator if it really lasts that long.
A smooth and creamy Thai spiced peanut sauce made with coconut milk, curry pastes and real roasted peanuts (along with a splash of other key Thai ingredients). The only peanut sauce recipe you will ever need.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 coriander roots, cut
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon massaman curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons ground roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds (light colored ones)
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- In a mortar pound garlic, and corinader roots into a paste. Set aside.
- Heat pot over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Add paste for the mortar, and both curry pastes. Stir fry until aromatic.
- Add 1/3 of the coconut milk and stir slowly until the oil separates then add the second 1/3 of the coconut milk, bring to a boil and add the remaining coconut milk. Add sugar, tamarind juice and fish sauce. Keep stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add ground roasted peanuts and sesame seeds and bring to a boil. Stir, remove from heat and serve.
- ***To make tamarind juice combine 1 tablespoons tamarind paste (store bought) with 2 tablespoons water
Recipe from Blue Elephant Cooking School