Asian salmon cakes made with wild canned salmon with lots of crisp fresh flavors from lime, ginger, sesame oil, lemongrass, come together in minutes and make for a perfect low fuss lunch or dinner. Gluten free and dairy free.
I’ve recently switched over from salmon fillets to salmon steaks.
Oh my god – sooo much more flavorful and a bit fattier, which I kinda love too.
This time around though, I’m cooking with canned fish.
Now this is no canned tuna. This wild canned salmon is brimming with flavor and as I discovered on the label comes with skin and bones — all edible though. Why not get some extra nutrients while we’re at it right?
While canned fish can seem a bit dull and lifeless at first, these Asian patties are bursting with fresh crisp flavors.
I love Asian based ingredient mixes including one of my classic favorite combinations – lime zest and juice, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, tamari, and sesame oil.
This limited set of objects brings out the best in so many dishes, many the flavors just pop.
With canned salmon this is the perfect combination for light and yet dense patties or fritters. To give the Asian salmon cakes more form I added in cooked brown rice (my other new favorite ingredient) and gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
If you’re going the breadcrumb route panko is seriously the best. They aren’t so finely crushed/minced as the regular breadcrumbs and therefore add a nice airy crispiness to everything they’re in.
For a simple lunch or dinner with no defrosting or long winded prep required try out these Asian Salmon Cakes, with are crisp light and packed full of Asian flair.
Asian salmon patties made with wild canned salmon with lots of crisp fresh flavors from lime, ginger, sesame oil, lemongrass, come together in minutes and make for a perfect low fuss lunch or dinner. Gluten free and dairy free.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 15 ounces can wild salmon
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, mince
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lime zest (1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 6 tablespoons gluten free panko
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- for dredging:
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko
- In a large bowl combine onion, ginger, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, sesame seeds, tamari, sesame oil, lemongrass, egg, rice and 6 tablespoons panko. Mix until smooth.
- Add salmon and mix to break up the pieces, still keeping some of the salmon pieces together.
- For firmer patties, freeze the mix for 30 minutes to 1 hour (optional)
- Form 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup full patties with your hands and dip into additional panko mix to coat on all sides. Repeat for all patties.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat and pan fry the patties until browned on each side.