Super soft and delicious 30 minute seven ingredient salmon cakes with hearts of palm and chickpeas. A perfect gluten free and dairy free lunch or dinner. Serve with a home made Cilantro Lime Aioli for the ultimate flavor explosion. This is one of the most surprisingly good canned hearts of palm recipes.
Remember how I mentioned that you can always find a jar or can of hearts of palm in the Costa Rican grocery stores? Well expect to be seeing a whole lot of canned hearts of palm recipes. First I started with a tomato hearts of palm avocado salad. Then I moved onto hearts of palm and quinoa stuffed avocado boats.
And now I’m on to salmon cakes for this one of many more to come canned hearts of palm recipes.
This is a fusion, a mix of both worlds.
I wanted a bit of seafood, and a bit of hearty flavors. Canned salmon meets chickpeas and hearts of palm.
The salmon provides that flaky and delicate fish quality. The chickpeas create a hearty firm texture for these patties. And the hearts of palm are a perfect imitation crab meat.
Yep I said – hearts of palm = jumbo lump crab meat in this recipe.
Have you seen the price on a pound of jump lump crab meat? It’s almost astronomical.
And why spend all that money, when you can create a similar texture with chopped hearts of palm?
I swear the chopped hearts of palm when mixed with the salmon and other ingredients give off a crab taste and texture. Don’t mince the hearts of palm up, just keep them a bit chopped. Instead of making the full mixture completely smooth, I wanted a bit more texture in each bite, so that you could really distinguish each ingredient from the others.
These 30 minute gluten free salmon cakes with hearts of palm literally come together in minutes. You only need seven ingredients – canned salmon, chickpeas, hearts of palm, lime, old bay and gluten free flour or breadcrumbs.
I mixed everything together and added flour, but imagine gluten free panko breadcrumbs would add a nice light airy crunch to these as well.
This is a perfect 30 minute weeknight dinner meal that is low fuss, one bowl and cooks in minutes. Definitely one of the canned hearts of palm recipes you’ll be coming back to over and over again.
While the salmon cakes are sizzling up and browning, quickly whip together the aioli, made with mayo, lime, cilantro and olive oil.
These salmon cakes are light and hearty with a creamy citrusy zesty sauce.
Super soft and delicious 30 minute salmon cakes with hearts of palm and chickpeas. A perfect gluten free and dairy free lunch. Serve with a home made Cilantro Lime Aioli
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 6 ounce can salmon, in water
- 1 15 ounce can hearts of palm, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour or gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- For the aioli:
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- handful cilantro, diced
- In a large bowl combine crush chickpeas with a fork. Add salmon, hearts of palm, egg, 1 teaspoon lime juice, salt, old bay and flour. Mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the aioli ingredients, lime zest, tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, mayo and 2 tablespoon olive oil. Mix until smooth.
- Form 6-8 round and flat patties out of the mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Once hot and sizzling add patties, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Pan fry for a few minutes per side until browned. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Serve with a dollop of the aioli.