This is another one of gma’s star recipes that she has passed down to me. You can use either zucchini or eggplant – I prefer zucchini because it’s softer, but it works well with both. Easy to make with simple ingredients that you generally have in the fridge. Makes for a good side dish or appetizer. And these are baked — not fried — so feel free to eat a whole bunch of them. : )
- 2 medium zucchini, cut on the diagonal into ½ inch rounds (more like ovals)
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3-4 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheet with cooking spray and place zucchini slices side by side. Bake for 10 minutes. In small bowl combine garlic and mayo.
- Remove baking sheet from pan, flip zucchini slices over, add salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato slice to each zucchini round then spread small amount of mayo garlic mix. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Bake 10-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.