Avocado Chickpea Salad with Vegan Pesto {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

61.9K Flares 61.9K Flares ×

Avocado Chickpea Salad with Vegan Pesto - perfect vegan dinner recipe

This is a pretty simple vegan avocado chickpea salad I just randomly threw together one day.

25 vegan and gluten free recipes

Get My Weekly Meal Plan Plus My FREE GF/DF Avocado Recipes Ebook.

I’d been seeing a lot of these smashed chickpea avocado sandwich recipes online and figured it would be just as delicious in a salad with some vegan basil arugula pesto as the dressing. And oh em geeeee this has hands down become one of my all time favorite lunches ever. And I mean ever. I mean come on, how could vibrant pesto, smooth and creamy avocados and healthy and soft chickpeas not make for a winner killer combination?

Are you with me?

If salads aren’t your thing use a potato masher to squash the chickpeas down a little bit and just spread between two slices of bread for a quick lunch.

I prefer this as a salad though – always overestimating how hungry I am and spending hours feeling stuffed afterwards – thanks to the filling aspect of both avocados and chickpeas. Best of all this is naturally gluten free and can easily be made vegan with a simple vegan pesto – don’t worry I’ve got you covered there. As long as you have a food processor (and I highly recommend investing in one – I love my kitchen aid 7 cup) this is a breeze.

I hope you enjoy this chickpea and avocado salad as much as I did!

This is simple one of those perfect gluten free vegan dinner or lunch recipes. Healthy and delicious. A win win.

I’m curious what’s your favorite gluten free and vegan quick dinner? Does it include avocados and pesto as all my meals do?

avocado chickpea pesto salad

avocado chickpea pesto salad

Helpful kitchen tools for this recipe:

• KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White – though it costs a whopping $120 this is an essential tool in the kitchen, which can be used for making so many different things – sauces, dips, dough, etc. Once you have one it’s good for years so you only need to buy a good one once.

25 vegan and gluten free recipes

Exclusive Bonus: Download 25 of my all time favorite vegan and gluten free recipes.

Avocado Chickpea Salad with Vegan Pesto

A delicious gluten free and vegan avocado chickpea salad with pesto. This vegan lunch or dinner recipe will blow your mind.
    Author:
    Serves: 2-4
    • 1 can chickpeas, rinses and drained
    • 1 avocado, cubed
    • lemon juice
    • salt, pepper,
    • 2 scallions, chopped
    • 2 handfuls spring mix or arugula, sliced
    • 4 tablespoons vegan basil arugula pesto
    1. Squeeze lemon juice over cubed avocado. Combine ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy (mash chickpeas beforehand if using this as sandwich filling).

Similar Posts To Avocado Chickpea Salad with Vegan Pesto {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

61.9K Flares Pin It Share 61.3K Twitter 56 Facebook 490 Google+ 9 Reddit 2 StumbleUpon 1 Buffer 0 61.9K Flares ×

Comments

1. Nancy/SpicieFoodie says

It may have been simply thrown together, but there’s nothing simple about those flavors. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to try it.

• AvocadoPesto says

Let me know what you think — or if you add different ingredients how they pair together!

2. Julia {The Roasted Root} says

Looks like there’s tons of flavor (and health benefits) in that bowl! Just what I’m looking for!

3. Avocados says

Avocado is a grand food to always add in the mix when the recipe permits. One of the major benefits I draw out of avos is their life sustaining properties. There is just no harm to having it as a daily dietary intake. Folate, Fatty acids, Oleic, help fight many illnesses including heart problems. High cholesterol can be significantly lowered within 5 to 7 days if avo is the main ingredient in your recipe.

There are so many avo tricks out there that are just worth trying. SAAGA – South African Avocado Growing Association – is an avocado company and they host hundreds of avo tuck-ins.

Avocados, Avocado, Avo

They are worth checking out. LIKE YOUR WORK AVOCADO PESTO!

4. Sara says

We made this with fresh, organic basil from my green workplace’s on-site garden. :) We unfortunately couldn’t help messing with it and added about 2t of hot sauce and it was thoroughly yummy!

Hot sauce sounds like a great addition to the recipe! Will have to try adding it next time! I wish my workplace had an on-site garden! Lucky you!

5. Theresa says

You had me at avocado. Then add chickpeas and pesto, I am there. This recipe sounds simple and delicious – on my must make list!

6. Lael says

I just made this meal of love, except I used chopped kale in place of mixed greens..and oh my yum,good! We’re having it in buns..if I can stop myself from eating it before then;p

So glad you enjoyed this and thanks for coming back to comment and let me know! Great idea to use kale instead of mixed greens — will have to try that next time!

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it if you end up making it! Have spent the last 7 weeks in China and have not seen a single avocado! Have definitely been missing them!

7. Casey says

Vicky,

Since I’m currently unable to have chickpeas I was prompted to find a replacement. While on the journey I ended up making quite a few different alterations…and I wasn’t disappointed!

Being a little on the active side, I decided I need to amp up my protein/calorie intake since I took out the chickpeas. For this, I added Quinoa and broccoli. I also love the crunch and freshness that Cucumbers offer so I added some of that (peeled). Then I added some sprouts and used Romaine lettuce as my base. Finally, I decided to make my own creamy walnut pesto sauce with nutritional yeast. I used coconut milk as my base!

Topped of with flax and chia seeds, this turned out to be perfectly crunchy, light but creamy, packed full of nutrients, loaded with good fats, and a great go-to salad before any rigorous activity.

So, thank you for this recipe and also for filling my bookmarks bar with a bunch of other recipes I can’t wait to try!

Best wishes and tons of praise,

Casey

Casey,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and can I just say WOW – you have really transformed my recipe into something that sounds even better than the original dish! Please please share your creamy walnut pesto!!! I have never tried making pesto with coconut milk but it sounds like a brilliant idea! I am seriously super impressed with the spin off my salad you created! Sounds delicious and I would love to make your version next time I get my hands on some quinoa (none of it here in South East Asia) but in the meantime I’ll send off these ideas to my mom to try at home!

8. Caroline says

This was so amazingly delicious and rich. We had it with pasta but it makes an incredible spread on toasted squaw. I added a little garlic. Love this. It’s going to be a new favorite. So easy & quick. The hubby really loved it too.