This is a pretty simple salad I just randomly threw together one day. I’d been seeing a lot of these smashed chickpea avocado sandwich spread recipes online and figured it would be just as delicious in a salad with some basil arugula pesto as the dressing. If salads aren’t your thing use a potato masher to squash the chickpeas down a little bit and just spread between two slices of bread for a quick lunch. I prefer this as a salad though – always overestimating how hungry I am and spending hours feeling stuffed afterwards – thanks to the filling aspect of both avocados and chickpeas. Best of all this can easily be made vegan with a simple vegan pesto – don’t worry I’ve got you covered there. As long as you have a food processor (and I highly recommend investing in one – I love my kitchen aid 7 cup) this is a breeze.
Helpful kitchen tools for this recipe:
- KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White - though it costs a whopping $120 this is an essential tool in the kitchen, which can be used for making so many different things – sauces, dips, dough, etc. Once you have one it’s good for years so you only need to buy a good one once.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinses and drained
- 1 avocado, cubed
- lemon juice
- salt, pepper,
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 handfuls spring mix or arugula, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegan basil arugula pesto
- Squeeze lemon juice over cubed avocado. Combine ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy (mash chickpeas beforehand if using this as sandwich filling).