I’d been seeing a lot of these smashed chickpea avocado sandwich recipes online and figured it would be just as delicious in a salad with some vegan basil arugula pesto as the dressing. And oh em geeeee this has hands down become one of my all time favorite lunches ever. And I mean ever. I mean come on, how could vibrant pesto, smooth and creamy avocados and healthy and soft chickpeas not make for a winner killer combination?
Are you with me?
I prefer this as a salad though – always overestimating how hungry I am and spending hours feeling stuffed afterwards – thanks to the filling aspect of both avocados and chickpeas. Best of all this is naturally gluten free and can easily be made vegan with a simple vegan pesto – don’t worry I’ve got you covered there. As long as you have a food processor (and I highly recommend investing in one – I love my kitchen aid 7 cup) this is a breeze.
I hope you enjoy this chickpea and avocado salad as much as I did!
Helpful kitchen tools for this recipe:
- KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White – though it costs a whopping $120 this is an essential tool in the kitchen, which can be used for making so many different things – sauces, dips, dough, etc. Once you have one it’s good for years so you only need to buy a good one once.
Avocado Chickpea Salad with Vegan PestoPrep timeTotal timeA delicious gluten free and vegan avocado chickpea salad with pesto. This vegan lunch or dinner recipe will blow your mind.Author: Vicky BermanServes: 2-4Ingredients
- 1 can chickpeas, rinses and drained
- 1 avocado, cubed
- lemon juice
- salt, pepper,
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 handfuls spring mix or arugula, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegan basil arugula pesto
- Squeeze lemon juice over cubed avocado. Combine ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy (mash chickpeas beforehand if using this as sandwich filling).