This is a pretty simple vegan avocado chickpea salad I just randomly threw together one day.
And oh em geeeee this has hands down become one of my all time favorite lunches ever. And I mean ever. I mean come on, how could vibrant pesto, smooth and creamy avocados and healthy and soft chickpeas not make for a winner killer combination?
Are you with me?
If salads aren’t your thing use a potato masher to squash the chickpeas down a little bit and just spread between two slices of bread for a quick lunch.
I prefer this as a salad though – always overestimating how hungry I am and spending hours feeling stuffed afterwards – thanks to the filling aspect of both avocados and chickpeas. Best of all this is naturally gluten free and can easily be made vegan with a simple vegan pesto – don’t worry I’ve got you covered there. As long as you have a food processor (and I highly recommend investing in one – I love my kitchen aid 7 cup) this is a breeze.
This is simple one of those perfect gluten free vegan dinner or lunch recipes. Healthy and delicious. A win win.
PS. if you love avocados as much as I do and are constantly on the look out for avocado themed recipes be sure to check out my collection of avocado recipes!
I’m curious what’s your favorite gluten free and vegan quick dinner?
Does it include avocados and pesto as all my meals do?
Helpful kitchen tools for this recipe:
- KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White – though it costs a whopping $120 this is an essential tool in the kitchen, which can be used for making so many different things – sauces, dips, dough, etc. Once you have one it’s good for years so you only need to buy a good one once.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinses and drained
- 1 avocado, cubed
- lemon juice
- salt, pepper,
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 handfuls spring mix or arugula, sliced
- 4 tablespoons vegan basil arugula pesto
- Squeeze lemon juice over cubed avocado. Combine ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy (mash chickpeas beforehand if using this as sandwich filling).