Zucchini Chickpea Burgers {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

Zucchini Chickpea Burgers {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

A vegan and gluten free veggie burger recipe that even the most die-hard carnivore will fall in love with. Made with zucchini, chickpea, quinoa and herbs and spices. Your new go to zucchini veggie burger.

zucchini-chickpea-burger-snacks

25 vegan and gluten free recipes

Get My Weekly Meal Plan Plus My FREE GF/DF Avocado Recipes Ebook.

I had a zucchini burger for the first time in Cambodia of all places. We went to the Friends Restaurant in Phnom Penh which is known for training youths in the hospitality industry to help them find better jobs afterwards.

Cambodia has a ton of NGO companies and eateries and while in Phnom Penh we tried to seek out as many of the food establishments as possible. The service is good, the food delicious and the cause a worthy one.

And so started my love affair with veggie burgers. I was never a big fan of burgers and since I try to eat as little beef as possible a regular hamburger is now completely off the menu for me, but not so for veggie burgers.

My roommates in college would cook the pre-made Trader Joe’s veggie burgers but I never tried them. I always thought the concept of a veggie burger very strange, and always thought they were just made with mass amounts of black beans.

Turns out that’s not the case.

The veggie burger patty we had in Phnom Penh was made with zucchini and chickpeas and the burger was topped with pickled beets, a killer herb mayo, spring mix and caramelized onions. It was lip smacking good. I’m always looking for vegetarian meals to recreate at home and this was a perfect candidate.

So though this one is without the beets and caramelized onions I added in some wasabi mayo, edamame hummus, thinly sliced cucumbers, red onions and arugula.

A killer combo. Oh and the burger patty is made with quinoa, zucchini, chickpeas and sunflower seeds — talk about mad healthy.

You’ll seriously love it. Definitely my new favorite burger right here and these also happen to be vegan and gluten free veggie burgers.

And I’m guessing you can freeze the burger patties individually and then reheat them to enjoy this healthy and delicious meal whenever you want. If you don’t have zucchini on hand I have a feeling this would also be incredible with yellow squash or even patty pan squash.

What’s your favorite veggie burger? Ever make them from scratch yourself?

Vegan and gluten free Zucchini veggie burgers

25 vegan and gluten free recipes

Exclusive Bonus: Download 25 of my all time favorite vegan and gluten free recipes.

Serves 1/6 of recipe

Zucchini Chickpea Burgers

Killer vegan and gluten free veggie burgers made with zucchini, chickpeas, quinoa and sunflower seeds. This will be your new favorite burger.

30 minPrep Time

10 minCook Time

40 minTotal Time

Save Recipe

• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 3 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, chopped finely
  • 1 1/2 cup zucchini, grated on the largest setting of a box grater, and squeezed dry using a paper towel or cheesecloth (make sure to remove all moisture from zucchini)
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
  • 3/4 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cup canned chickpeas
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa (1/3 cup dry)
  • 2-3 tablespoons water (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (use fresh basil if you prefer)
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked and spicy paprika
  • 3-4 tablespoons quinoa flour (optional)
  • To serve::
  • 6 hamburger buns or sliced bread (Udi's gluten free for gluten free version)
  • red onion, thinly sliced
  • large handful arugula
  • 4 tablespoons wasabi mayo (omit for vegan version)
  • 4 tablespoons edamame hummus
  • 3 small cucumbers, thinly sliced

1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic until tender. Add zucchini, and saute until zucchini is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  2. Grind sunflower seeds, sea salt, and pepper in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add quinoa, chickpeas, dijon mustard, lemon, dill, and paprika, to the mixture. Pulse to combine a few times and then run the food processor until the mixture is broken up but hasn't completely lost its texture. If you need to, add a little water to the mixture.
  3. Place the mixture in a mixing bowl and add the zucchini, onion, and garlic. Mix until combined.
  4. Shape the mixture into 6-8 patties with your hands. Optional -- if the mixture feels too moist add quinoa flour and mix, until mixture is a bit more dry and holds together better.
  5. After forming into patties freeze the patties for 15-20 minutes (optional) - this helps them stick together better.
  6. For cooking there are two options:
  7. -heat remaining olive oil in a pan on medium heat and cook burgers for five minutes on each side, or until golden brown
  8. or
  9. -bake in a 350 degree F preheated oven on a parchment paper lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray for 20-30 minutes.
  10. Serve each burger on hamburger buns with a dollop of wasabi mayo, edamame hummus, sliced cucumbers, red onions and arugula.
Recipe Type: Dinner

Nutrition

Calories: 438 cal
Fat: 22.3 g g
Protein: 13.3g g
Fiber: 7.7g g

Recipe adapted from Food 52

Comments

Great! Hope you like how the burgers turn out! Will be posting a chickpea salad within a couple days if you’re looking for more chickpea recipes.

1. Sarah says

Is it sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds I need? Ingredients list sunflower but method says pumpkin. Thank you so much! Making our first meatless meal tonight and this looks delicious

You can use either. The recipe I got the idea from used pumpkin seeds but I didn’t have those on hand so used sunflower seeds instead. So just go with what you have (or prefer)! How they come out well!

2. Molly says

WOW!! These came out GREAT! I replaced the quinoa with brown rice and added some carrots and baked them! DELICIOUS!

3. Gess says

hi! Do you think I can substitute quinoa with amaranto? Or millet or ….? Going to try tonight! Thank you

• Gess says

Hello hello, thank you so much for your prompt reply. I made a few substitutions because I was so excited to try this recipe with fresh zucchini picked right from the veggie garden.
        So I used a cous cous left over in place of quinoa, mixed seeds, leek in place of onions, no dill.
        I tried to fry the first one and it went into pieces + turning to be too sweet. (Probably due to cous cous)
        So I used a litlle buckwheat flour and then simply cooked them on an unsticky pan with just a drop of oil right on top of each hamburger.
        I ate them with grated raw carrots, zucchini and salad placed in a whole grain tortilla with mustard. Olive oil on top. FANTAFAB!

The 2-3 times I have made these burgers I have not had problems with them falling apart but multiple people in the comments seem to have brought up this problem. Two things I think could help — making sure to ring out the excess liquid in the zucchini (after grating it) by squeezing it through a cheesecloth or towel and also adding a bit of flour (quinoa flour for example) to the mixture should help these stay together. Hope that helps! : ))

4. Tracy says

I made these, excellent flavor, mine fell apart, I will wring out zucchini in the future, served mine on a salad with lemon and olive oil dressing, put a dollop of cilantro, mayo, garlic, lemon, soy sauce, and sesame oil concoction….yummmmmmm!

Glad to hear they tasted great but it’s a shame they fell apart! Love the way you served these – sounds delicious! I think thoroughly wringing out the zucchini should help — or try to add a bit of quinoa flour.

5. Ebony says

Thank you thank you thank you! This is the best chickpea burger recipe I have come across! Meat-loving hubby devours them and they are now part of our weekly meal planning. Leftovers are an easy breakfast for me too when I’m in a hurry. I’ve made them half a dozen times now and they don’t fall apart for me but I do cook them in a pan on grease proof paper to make handling easier and I also don’t make them too big. That may help people?

Thanks so much Ebony! So glad you liked the zucchini chickpea burger recipe, and thanks for taking the time to comment and let me know! Also glad to hear they don’t fall apart for you either : ))

6. Chanelle Williams says

I used lentils instead of quinoa as I only had quinoa flakes in my cupboard at the time. I also used tumeric, curry powder and a bit of vegan stock powder for extra flavour as I had no mustard. To keep them together I used almond meal. Absolutely beautiful I cant get enough! My Fiancée loves them too. Good to see a recipe without rice or potato so you dont feel as bad putting them in a bun. Thank you I really love these!

Love the additions and substitutions that you put into the recipe. I will have to try it your way next time : )) So glad you both enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for taking the time to comment and let me know how it turned out!! : )

7. says

I noticed that everything is vegan, but I recall trying to buy some Udi’s Bread a while ago. I looked through the ingredients and the one I was looking at in particular had eggs. Not sure if this is the same for most Udi’s brand breads, but I was wondering if you knew about this too? Just curious because I’ve been looking for decently priced gluten free breads.

It does look like Udi’s uses eggs in their bread but I am sure there are companies that do make gluten free and vegan breads, or you could always try baking your own using flax or chia “eggs” to be perfectly sure.

8. Erin W. says

Made these tonight and it’s a new favorite!! Delicious and not very heavy on the stomach. Only problem is that I think we processed the seeds and zucchini a little too much, since I had to do both separately from the rest of the ingredients because my blender is awful and needs to be replaced. I turned the seeds into a powder and pureed the zucchini/onion/garlic mixture. Still tasty but I’m wondering if that is why it came out so gooey and mushy?

So glad you enjoyed this recipe Erin! If you are using a blender instead of a food processor I can see why the seeds and zucchini might be blender a bit too much. I do think that may be why it came out a bit gooey and mushy. I made this in a food processor and processor the seeds until just broken down, and the rest of the mix, until just combined, but not until smooth and pureed. Either way as long as the dish was delicious that’s all that counts!

9. Patrick says

This recipe is a disappointing combination. Firstly I had to season the mixture for the lack of flavor was astonishing, the exception being the dill which was offensively overwhelming .Then the patties completely fell apart as I attempted to flip them which I would blame the high moisture content of the quinoa, lentils would be a better option. Certainly one of the most disappointing recipes I have tried in quite some time.

Patrick, I’m so sorry you did not enjoy the recipe. When I made these I did not find the dill overwhelming but I personally love dill, so if you prefer another herb you could use that instead (parsley, basil, etc). I have received comments that the patties fell apart for others too, though they did not for me when I made them. I think adding a bit of quinoa flour could help the mixture hold together better and making sure that the zucchini is squeezed dry after grating would make a big difference too. I have added these notes to the recipe. Freezing the patties for a few minutes after shaping them could also help them stay together, and baking them instead of pan frying them would help too. Once again I’m sorry the recipe didn’t work out for you!

10. Michelle says

I am looking forward to making this for my son. He and his girlfriend have been vegans for awhile and I’m trying to find all kinds of recipes for them, plus he’s a recent graduate (who gets to stay home while goin to college ) so I’m trying to put a recipe book together for him when he decides to move out.

Hope your son enjoys this recipe Michelle! You will find many different vegan recipes on my blog if you are interested in testing out any others. The recipe book sounds like a wonderful gift!