I haven’t been fair to you. I’ve been cooking up all these delicious dishes and haven’t been properly sharing them with you.
After our two week stunt in India, we spent another two weeks in Nepal, trekking with one of my best friends from college and her cousin and now we’re in Thailand.
We’ve been hopping around a bit.
After months and months of fast travel (not spending more than 8 days in any one place), it’s time to slow things down a bit.
Though I do love a fast paced lifestyle and am the last person to admit I want to slow down, having a place to yourself, with a kitchen at that, really is a welcome luxury.
And so for the next month we’ll be holed up in an apartment off the coast of Thailand, right on the beach, with a pool and a gym.
Not bad if you ask me.
If I have to stop the traveling for a little bit, this seems like a good place to do so.
So what do I spend my days doing?
Cooking up a storm.
Stay tuned for lots of various recipes, but for today we’ll start with a brussels sprouts salad recipe. I love salads and am always looking for new takes and different spins on the regular lettuce based salads.
I can’t even remember the last time I had brussels sprouts, but I saw them in the supermarket over here and just had to come up with something, hence this brussels sprouts salad.
Simple salads are perfect. Toast some almonds, slice up an apple, shred those brussel sprouts (use a food processor if you can or a box grater). If you’ve got neither, as I do not, just use a knife and cutting board; that does the trick too.
I chose to lightly saute the brussel sprouts, but I’m sure you could toss them together uncooked too.
This salad isn’t for everyone; brussel sprouts usually aren’t, but if you’re feeling creative and want something with a bit of an edge this will do the trick.
- ¼-1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, shredded (on box grater or in food processor)
- ½-1 green apple, peeled and cubed
- a few tablespoons shredded pecorino (optional, omit for vegan or dairy free version)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 lime, juice
- Heat pan over medium heat add almonds. Toast until lightly browned and remove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan and add brussels sprouts. Cook for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl combine remaining olive oil, mustard and lime juice.
- In a bowl combine brussels sprouts, almonds, apples, cheese (optional) and dressing.
- Toss and serve.