D has ordered pasta carbonara at a restaurant and it has been a huge disappointment. Every time the pasta seems to be drowning in a pool of oil – completely unnecessary and a straight turn off.
A real simple ingredient list for this one – pasta, bacon, eggs, cheese, cream, onions and garlic. Not too hard to find in your kitchen on a regular day right?
So where’s all that gloopy oil coming from in the restaurants? Are they flat out pouring bacon grease onto the plate, or did they spill the container of evoo by accident? I’m at a loss, because when I made this the other night it was not greasy at all, and was simply the right amount of creamy without overwhelming your taste buds.
The key to this dish is using the drained hot pasta to cook the egg based sauce. The pasta has to be hot enough so that when you mix in the egg, cream and cheese mixture the eggs are also cooked ever so slightly. If you put the pot back on the heat you’ll wind up with scrambled eggs on your pasta so stay away from that.
To lighten things up a bit, I made sure to drain the oil from the bacon pan, before cooking the onions and garlic. There was still the slightest coating of bacon grease on the pan, just enough to add a bit of a smoky taste but not enough to drown the onion and garlic.
Instead of cream I used coconut milk. It’s a bit lighter in calories than heavy cream and I just thought why not?
Sprinkle some capers and freshly diced green onions as a garnish and dinner is ready. Simple yet creamy and full of flavor.
Finally a pasta carbonara I can actually enjoy.
- 8 ounces linguine (use gluten free brown rice pasta for gluten free version)
- 5 ounces bacon
- ½ of a large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- two eggs
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- salt, pepper to taste
- green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 tablespoon capers, for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cook bacon in pan over medium heat, in single layer, flipping over half way through. Cook until crispy and drain on paper towels. Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Pour bacon grease out of the pan and into the same pan add onions and garlic and cook for medium-low heat for a couple minutes. Remove from heat and combine with the bacon.
- In a bowl combine eggs, salt, pepper, cheese and coconut milk. Mix until smooth.
- When pasta is cooked drain pasta quickly and return to pot. Pour egg mixture over the pasta and mix quickly, making sure the pasta slightly cooks the egg mixture. Add in bacon and onions. Mix.
- Serve garnished with capers and green onions.
This post has been shared on Gluten Free Wednesdays