This creamy vegan Tomato soup recipe just needs canned tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, vegetable stock, and sundried tomato tapenade. – An Ultimate Soup Recipe
A vegan tomato soup recipe can seriously be good for the soul. Remember those books, chicken soup for the soul? Well I say vegan tomato soup recipe for the soul.
Just thinking of those books brings me back to my teen years. I used to love all of those stories – I just gobbled them right up – strange thinking about it now, so many years later. Come to think of it, I’m not sure some of those stories aren’t entirely made up; I mean it would make sense to fabricate at least a few of them to get the proper takeaway in the end and teach us teenagers a lesson, right? What do you think?
But back to this vegan tomato soup recipe. I love all kinds of soup (currently my favorite being a tie between this one and my black bean pumpkin soup). It’s just such comfort food; whether it’s winter or summer I need soup in my life. And when I make a big pot of soup I can eat it for every meal for days. I do not even need variety – a winning soup recipe is enough to keep me satisfied.
This vegan tomato soup recipe comes together in no time at all and is packed full of flavor. Instead of the Campbell’s can make your own home made version from scratch. A few veggies can really come together magically. We’re talking canned tomatoes, red pepper, garlic and onion as the base. And for the finishing touch the sundried tomato tapenade (or sun dried tomato pesto) adds that extra depth in flavor. Top the soup off with some coconut cream to give it a richer creamier texture but still keeping it vegan.
If you’ve got a blender handy, feel free to puree the soup if you like a silkier smoother texture.
Let me know what you think of my vegan tomato soup recipe in the comments below!
A simple Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe with leftover pasta that will have you asking for more! Healthy plant based lunch!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced,
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 can stewed/diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
- dash of dried rosemary
- dash of dried oregano
- 2.5-3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock for vegetarian/vegan version
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomato tapenade
- 1 cup coconut milk
- handful cooked penne pasta cut up (use brown rice pasta for gluten free) (optional)
- Heat oil in pot over low heat. Add diced onion and cook for a couple minutes. Add bell pepper and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, vegetable stock, and sundried tomato tapenade. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Optional: Add some cut up penne pasta to the soup for a fuller meal.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.