You’re bound to love this recipe for Quinoa with Artichokes, Asparagus and Kale. Vegan and gluten free, it’s the perfect meal for dinner.
I tried quinoa once a while ago and wasn’t that impressed with it – it was kind of dry and flavorless and just sort of turned into mush in your mouth.
But after seeing numerous quinoa recipes online and reading about all the various health benefits (high in protein, plant derived calcium, iron, and fiber, with magnesium to regulate blood pressure and relax muscles and manganese and copper to work as antioxidants) – I knew it deserved another chance.
I figured even if I didn’t like it that much the second time around, consuming such a superfood would still be worth it. I’m also always on the lookout for vegetarian meals so this recipe allowed me to kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes.
But let me tell you – I LOVED it. This artichoke quinoa recipe with asparagus and kale is just perfect.
I must have completely over cooked it the first time because with this recipe it was delicious. I couldn’t stop myself from getting seconds, and then thirds – it was that good.
The combination of the textures and flavors of the quinoa, artichokes, asparagus and kale is fantastic and this makes the perfectly healthy meal.
If omitting the Parmesan it becomes vegan. I urge you to try this. If you’re sketical of quinoa do it for the health benefits at least, if not for the taste. Just make sure not to over cook it.
Vegan and Gluten Free this is a perfect dinner meal!
10 minsPrep Time
20 minsCook Time
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 3/4 pound asparagus bottom inch of spears discarded, the rest cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup canned artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2-3 cups kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, broken into smaller pieces
- salt, pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmesan, freshly shredded (optional) (omit for vegan)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Rinse quinoa in cold water. In a medium pan add quinoa, lemon juice and zest and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a cover, cover and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
- In a pan heat sunflower oil (or vegetable oil) over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until just starting to brown - transfer to a bowl. To the same pan add asparagus and cook 2-3 minutes then add kale and cook until just starting to get wilted.
- Add artichoke hearts and walnuts and continue to cook for a couple minutes. Add garlic back to the pan and mix to combine.
- When quinoa is fully cooked add it to the pan with the vegetables and mix. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and scallions.
- Recipe Adapted from Snixy Kitchen