A simple gluten-free and vegan dish with quinoa and zucchini with asparagus on the side. Healthy, delicious and dairy-free as well – what more can you ask for?
A few days ago we flew out of Seoul and landed in Beijing, China. And what a new world it is. Bustling city full of people, new language, enormous sights and vast history – so much to absorb, with not enough time to reflect. As always with a new country comes new food and exotic regional delicacies. For the last few days we’ve had hot and sour tofu soup for breakfast, meat and veggies stir fry dishes coated with sauce for lunch, and we polished off the day today with the famous peking duck for dinner. The food has been delicious but a little greasy at times, to say the least. And far from vegan, let alone vegetarian friendly. Even if the dish itself does not seem to contain meat I wouldn’t be surprised if some pork fat was thrown into the mix somewhere…
And so today I share an uber healthy, vegan and gluten free quinoa and zucchini recipe. This is packed full of healthy veggies and delicious flavors. For more squash recipe ideas check out my patty pan squash recipes or my chickpea and zucchini patties.
Please make this quinoa and zucchini dish so I can live vicariously through your healthy yet delicious eating habits as I gobble down on some unhealthy (albeit drool worthy) Chinese food.
Oh Quinoa, where art thou in Asia?
It seems to be nowhere in sight so far, but I will definitely keep a look out!
A simple gluten free and vegan quinoa meal. Healthy and delicious.
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1.5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced, divided
- 2 zucchini, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends discarded, remainder cut in half
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pot. Add quinoa and toast over medium heat 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste. Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 15-20 minutes or until cook through.
- In a pan heat remaining vegetable oil and add zucchini. Cook 3-5 minutes tossing occasionally and add asparagus. Cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft but still crisp.Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl combine mustard, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
- Add quinoa to pan with veggies along with dressing and walnuts. Mix until smooth.
- Serve warm.