A filling and healthy refreshing cabbage and gluten free chicken salad recipe with an Asian flare. Dairy free too.
This past week at a music festival in New Zealand I got my first dose of camping and car snoozing. D and I don’t have a tent and we gave our sleeping bags back to my paarents when we saw them in Australia so I assumed sleeping in the car for three night would be our best option.
While sleeping in a car may look somewhat comfortable in reality it is miserable. Having your legs just dangling off the front seat simply makes for the most unusual sleeping position and therefore forces you to curl yourself up into a ball to at least have every part of your body on the seat.
Add in a cold NZ night and that experiences becomes exponentially worse. Try it yourself at let me know if you can find a better way.
The next night we were lucky enough to have the neighboring camping group lend us their extra single person tent. Without sleeping bags though and with 2 people in a way too small of a space, it was also a fairly unpleasant night’s rest.
By the three night I was alone in the tent and D had checked himself into a hostel. That last night’s sleep wasn’t actually half bad though.
As for the rest of the festival – it was awesome, folk songs, barn dancing, yodeling workshops, a hilarious time.
As for dining in such a scenario? You’ve got to make do with some camping pots and a camping stove so simple meals it was.
We didn’t make this napa cabbage almond gluten free chicken salad recipe while at the festival but I suspect this could make a great camping meal (especially if you buy precooked shredded chicken).
Simple, healthy and full of flavors. I’m always trying to think up new chicken recipes and this is definitely one I’ll be adding into the rotation.
A great lunch or light dinner.
A filling and healthy refreshing cabbage and chicken salad with an Asian flare.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 small lime zested and juiced
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (use gluten free tamari for gluten free version)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sasame oil
- 1 head of napa cabbage
- 1/2 pound of chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil for cooking chicken
- handful of green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- In a small bowl combine lime juice and zest, ginger, garlic, 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add oil. Cook chicken breast until browned on each side and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Thinly slice napa cabbage and run your fingers through it, separating the strands and add it to a large salad bowl.
- To the cabbage add the chicken, green onions and dressing. Toss. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds and serve.
- *Do not add dressing until ready to serve so that the cabbage stays crisp