Simple and refreshing appetizer full of crisp flavors. Make this fresh shrimp cucumber roll recipe on a hot summer day. Gluten free and dairy free too.
It has been so incredibly hot in Malaysia. So for lunch sometimes I just want something, cool, fresh and crispy.
Hello rice paper rolls.
These were made for hot and humid days.
I just kind of did a quick scan of the fridge and starting pulling things out. A simple shrimp cucumber roll using cucumbers, shrimp and fresh herbs. Doesn’t get fresher than that.
You could also throw in some noodle but who needs the extra carbs these days right?
I usually serve spring rolls with a chili dipping sauce but didn’t quite have the ingredients on hand so for this shrimp cucumber roll recipe, I went with a peanut dipping sauce instead. I just whisked a few ingredients together and ta-da!
The shrimp cucumber roll with the peanut sauce was not too bad, actually pretty good, and that means a lot coming from me because I am not a fan of peanut butter. There’s that gnack gnack factor to just eating spoonfuls of peanut butter that turns me off completely. You know what I’m talking about right? When the pb coats your entire mouth and you need to pry your jaws open? Yea I hate that.
None of that here though. A little bit of olive oil and hot water seemed to neutralize the gnack gnack.
Seriously, you’ve got to make this shrimp cucumber roll recipe next time you want a crisp fresh lunch.
Simple and refreshing appetizer full of crisp flavors. Make these fresh sprill rolls with shrimp and cucumber on a hot summer day. Gluten free, dairy free.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1-2 small cucumbers, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 20 medium shrimp, boiled, deveined, and peeled
- handful of mint, chopped
- handful of green onions, thinly sliced
- handful basil, chopped
- 10 rice paper rolls
- For the sauce:
- a few tablespoons peanut butter
- a couple tablespoons hot water
- a couple teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- equivalent amount of ginger, minced
- In a small bowl combine hot water, peanut butter, oil, garlic and ginger. Mix until smooth. Add more water if necessary until the consistency is that of a sauce.
- Place the rice paper in a bowl of warm water and remove once the rice paper has softened.
- Place rice paper roll in front of you and to the center of the roll add the cucumber, 2 shrimp per roll, a pinch of green onions, mint and basil
- Fold in the two sides and then start to roll the rice paper roll tightly, kind of like a burrito.
- Set aside and continue with remaining rice paper rolls.