Carnivores and vegan alike will love these vegan Asian lettuce wraps. Brown rice, chickpeas and nuts come together to form a sort of ground meat that soaks up the delicious Asian based sauce and mixed with crispy green beans to be served in romaine lettuce cups. A low carb Gluten-free appetizer, snack or dinner.
When I made a vegan buffalo crumble salad, I knew that I would be returning to this vegan faux ground meat mixture of brown rice, slivered almonds, cashews and chickpeas over and over again. It was really an amazing vegan main ingredient that I cannot resist.
It is simply incredible. I love creating veganized versions of recipes that I used to use meat based products in. I’ve made chicken lettuce wraps many times and I love the combination of Asian based flavors, but this time I wanted to substitute the chicken with a vegan ground meat mixture.
I love to eat vegan based meals, but am in no way a supporter of processed food products, the strange vegan turkey, vegan this that, and all sorts of chemical and additive filled semi processed foods stacked on the grocery store shelves.
That I am not interested in.
Instead I want to make my own vegan based meals with whole food based ingredients and here all we need is cooked brown rice, slivered almonds, cashews and chickpeas. Give those a whir in the food processor add in some gluten free tamari, garlic and chili flakes and ta-da your own vegan faux meat mixture.
Honestly though you need to make these vegan Asian lettuce wraps. With green beans and a medley of Asian based sauces this makes for a delicious, crisp, refreshing and healthy appetizer or full meal.
Low carb, low calories, with crisp romaine lettuce leaves you immediately feel rejuvenated. A delicious vegan and gluten-free meal.
Carnivores and vegan alike will love these vegan faux chicken lettuce wraps. Brown rice, chickpeas and nuts come together to form a sort of ground meat that soaks up the delicious Asian based sauce and mixed with crispy green beans to be served in romaine lettuce cups. A low carb appetizer or dinner.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews (optional)
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari
- 2 teaspoon chipotle paprika
- 8 ounces fresh green beans cut into 2 inch segments
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and removed from stem
- In a food processor combine brown rice, chickpeas, almonds, cashews chipotle paprika and 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari. Process on high until mixture is broken up into smaller pieces but not completely smooth.
- In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients, 2 tablespoons olive oil, minced garlic, ginger, white wine, sesame oil, and cilantro. Mix until smooth.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil. Add brown rice mixture and cook for a few minutes. Add green beans, mix with the brown rice mixture and cook until cooked through but still crispy.
- Remove from heat. Add sauce. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Serve in romaine lettuce leaves, sprinkled with sesame seeds and hot sauce (optional)