A gluten-free and vegan chocolate mousse avocado dessert. Guilt-free with creamy avocado, dark chocolate coconut cream and maple syrup. Refined sugar free.
Love chocolate but want to keep your dessert vegan and gluten-free? Try these:
Since we all know I love all things avocado related, it should come as no surprise that I was instantly intrigued by an avocado based vegan dessert recipe. I mean avocados in dessert? Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Now I may have heard of this before, but never actually gotten to making a dessert with avocados. With about two bags full of avocados that were on the brink of turning over ripe – now seemed like the perfect opportunity to make an avocado dessert.
All the mousse recipes I saw online required cocoa powder which I did not have on hand and could not be bothered to run out and purchase. So with a little improvisation I opted to use a lot of dark chocolate instead.
With two avocados, dark chocolate, maple syrup, coconut cream, coconut milk, vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt this vegan chocolate mousse avocado dessert was quickly on its way.
With no real cooking required – just a bit of double boiler action to melt the dark chocolate, this is a seriously low fuss dessert that is both vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar free.
This vegan chocolate mousse avocado dessert is super rich and filling fyi. I mean I kept taste testing it in the process of pureeing it and was pretty much full afterwards. Now this might not be the dessert for everyone. D was not a huge fan. He kept insisting that it wasn’t quite as fluffy as a traditional mousse recipe.
Now I really can’t say since I honestly do not know if I’ve ever even tried a real mousse recipe. Similar to real mousse or not, I thought this was a delicious creamy vegan dessert with vitamins and nutrients hidden within from the avocado.
Unlike Dave, my parents absolutely loved this vegan chocolate mousse avocado dessert and gobbled it all up. They thought it was smooth, creamy and just chocolatey enough, without even noticing a hint of the avocado. Sounds like a perfect simple low fuss vegan dessert to me.
What’s your go to vegan dessert recipe?
A vegan and gluten-free chocolate mousse with a surprising ingredient - avocado! A guilt free dessert with creamy avocado, dark chocolate coconut cream and maple syrup. Refined sugar free.
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 avocados
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (high quality)
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk beverage
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- optional -- add 6 tablespoons coconut cream
- Use a double boiler to melt dark chocolate until melted.
- In a food processor combine avocados, coconut cream, coconut milk beverage, maple syrup, vanilla extract and pinch of sea salt. Process until smooth.
- Add dark chocolate to the food processor and continue to process until smooth.
- Optional -- for a less chocolately lighter mousse add in additional coconut cream (up to 6 tablespoons) and process until smooth.
Recipe Adapted From Poppies and Papayas