A silky, creamy and nutritious creamy vegan asparagus soup is perfect on a cold spring day to warm you right up. Gluten-Free too and ready within and hour!
I must have the worst circulation ever for a 26 year old. My hands are literally always freezing cold. As are my feet.
And when I saw always I mean this very moment my right hand is practically stiff from being so cold. Surprisingly my left hand is a shade warmer. Is that normal? It also feels like it is freezing cold in the house.
But you know when you have those moments where you simply cannot be bothered to get up, and do something to improve the situation? It’s just easier to sit here on the computer with cold hands and a slight shiver going through my body, than it is to put on some warmer clothes or just turn the heat on.
Instead I’m just going to think about a steaming hot bowl of creamt vegan asparagus soup.
The mind is a powerful thing right? Well then just thoughts of the soup should start to warm me right up. Or so I hope.
The other day I received an email from a reader (by the way I love getting those — it really makes me feel that people are interested in the blog for more than .05 seconds, so yes those emails seriously make my day, so keep ’em coming).
This reader, who we shall call A, was asking for some advice in coming up with a vegan asparagus soup recipe. She has some ideas regarding other ingredients but wanted to get my input. I figured now was as good a time as any to simply create my very own gluten-free and creamy vegan asparagus soup recipe and that way I could send her an official recipe that had already been tested and sampled.
I’ve made a handful of creamy vegetable soups in the past, ranging from my vegan creamy zucchini soup to my vegan creamy broccoli soup. I wanted this asparagus soup to have a similar consistency with an even bigger pop in flavor.
I started by sauteeing the classic soup base ingredients – onions, carrots and celery, then added in one zucchini, just to balance out that strong asparagus flavor. All of that simmers in some vegetable broth and then for added creaminess I added coconut cream and nutritional yeast. And there you have it – a steaming hot bowl of super creamy, gluten-free, vegan asparagus soup.
So let’s talk nutritional yeast for a minute. I have seen it in recipes for years but have literally never spotted it in the grocery store and never felt strongly enough about it to seek it out. Somehow the other week I happened to see it out of the corner of my eye at Wegman’s so it seemed like a good time to test it out. It basically adds a bit of a cheesey flavor to vegan based meals. You don’t need to add to much, and now that I have a whole box I can’t wait to experiment with it. I have already added it to my vegan basil pesto, which gave it a bit of a cheesey parmesany taste that was awesome and in this soup too it heightens that creamy flavor and take it to the next level.
A silky, creamy and nutritious vegan asparagus soup is perfect on a cold spring day to warm you right up. Gluten-Free too and ready within and hour!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion 1/2 large yellow onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrot 2 small carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery 2 stalks
- 1 zucchini peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus tough ends cut off and discarded and cut into 2 inch segments
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- To garnish:1 lemon zested, handful fresh dill, chopped
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add carrots, cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and asparagus, cooking 1-2 minutes, mixing everything around.
- Add vegetable broth, salt/pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast and coconut cream. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Puree in blender or with immersion blender.
- Serve garnished with lemon zest and chopped dill.