A summer vegan zucchini and asparagus pasta that is filled with fresh veggies and coasted in a creamy pesto Alfredo based sauce. Have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
Pasta is one of those dishes that I never order when I eat out and only make at home. Not to sound like a snob or anything, but outside of dining in Italy I feel like anytime I have ordered pasta in a restaurant in the pasta, I’ve normally been disappointed. Either the sauce is too rich or oily or the toppings are too few, there’s just always something that’s off.
So I have quickly learned my lesson, and when in an Italian restaurant opt for a different classic, and save the pasta recipes for home cooking.
It’s best for me that way.
And it gives the chance to experiment with all sorts of pasta recipes and really create my own concoction.
Such as this vegan veggie loaded zucchini and asparagus pasta recipe right here. Generally when I think of pasta, the first next ingredient that comes to mind is cheese. Lots of this.
Guess what though? This zucchini and asparagus pasta recipe right here has no cheese at all. None. And it is still down right creamy and delicious.
While throwing cheese on a pasta is a delicious choice, I love to challenge myself in the kitchen and take things in the vegan direction. When this comes to a normally cheesey, dairy filled dish, if you ask me, it becomes fun to really get create a use completely different ingredients instead.
I knew I wanted a creamy sauce but with a light very veggie filled dish. Oh, and I used Ronzoni Garden Delight pasta in the recipe which by itself has one serving of vegetables in a 4 ounce portion of the pasta itself.
Ok, I mean how awesome is that? We all need to up our daily veggie intake right? And the guys over at Ronzoni have been clever enough to add in dried carrots, celery, etc right into the pasta mixture so that you’re getting even more veggies without even knowing it. Simply brilliant if you ask me. In today’s world there are just too many overly processed fast food dining options that are so easy to go to, but realistically take a huge toll on your body in the long run.
You know I clearly love to cook from scratch and keep things healthy while still tasty so am always happy to test out new products that actually make a standard kitchen staple even better for you.
In this zucchini and asparagus pasta recipe for the toppings I sliced up some zucchini and used a vegetable peeler to grate the asparagus into thin long slivers. With a bit of garlic the toppings were set. For the sauce I wanted an alfredo style creamy sauce that was not too heavy or thick. As my base I used coconut cream which I then mixed up with some vegan basil pesto and nutritional yeast to add a bit of cheesiness.
Bring all of those ingredients together and sprinkle with some pine nuts for a bit of added crunch. I found the Garden Delight pasta to taste just as good as any other pasta I’ve had before and it blended perfectly with the other veggie in the dish.
A delicious vegan summer zucchini and asparagus pasta with lots of veggies and a creamy sauce.
I was able to spot the Ronzoni Garden Delight Rotini pasta in the Walmart just five minutes drive from my house but be sure to check the store locator to find a Walmart nearby that carries it.
Currently you can save on the pasta by:
- $1.00 coupon off any two Garden Delight items in most newspapers on 6/28/15 (while supplies last)
- $0.55 off in store coupon at Walmart starting 6/22/15. Offer expires 8/2/15 (while supplies last)
Looking for more 30 minute weeknight pasta recipes? Check out these:
- Dairy Free Chicken Pasta with Creamy Pesto Sauce –> PIN for Later
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta with Sage –> PIN For later
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Pasta –> PIN For Later
- 30 Minute Ham and Tomato Pasta
- 30 Minute Lightened Up Creamy Coconut Milk Carbonara Pasta
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Pasta
- 10 Minute Alfredo Vegan Pesto Pasta → PIN For later
- Pesto Salmon Pasta → PIN For Later
A summer vegan zucchini and asparagus pasta that is filled with fresh veggies and coasted in a creamy pesto alfredo based sauce. Have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
- 9 ounces Rozoni Garden Delight Rotini pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces asparagus 2 inches of hard woody ends cut off, and peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 1 zucchini halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon zested
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup vegan basil pesto
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- few leaves fresh basil slivered,
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add oil. Cook zucchini for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add salt to taste. Remove from pan.
- To the same pan add asparagus ribbons and garlic. Add more oil if necessary. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant. Remove from pan.
- To the same pan add coconut milk, pesto, lemon zest and nutritional yeast. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring the sauce to combine. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Combine pasta with sauce and veggies. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts, and fresh basil.