Ready for another grilling recipe? As I mentioned in my last post, now that I have temporary access to the grill I’m getting as much use out of it as possible. To switch up the food groups this time I’m grilling with chicken instead of fish.
After years of fearing chicken thighs I am officially ready to bid farewell to tough and dry chicken breasts and welcome tender and juicy chicken thighs with open arms. I had one bad experience years ago – when I was trying to finely chop raw thighs and finding it increasingly difficult not to gag and that turned me off to them for years. Now that I’m finally giving them a chance again, I see what I’ve been missing all these years. I will admit they aren’t exactly appetizing to look at in raw form, and I wouldn’t want to spend too much hands on time with them, but for grilling they’re perfect. Rub the marinade all around and just toss them on the grill.
In this recipe I used a ginger citrus seasoning, which mom and I happened to find at Home Goods. Yep, the same store that sells home furnishings has also got an entire aisle dedicated to food products and they carry some great spice mixes.
Not sure why, but I just can’t help loving the checkerboard pattern of grill marks on my food. Maybe because it always means the warm weather has finally come around and it’s time for summer outfits, sun-kissed freckled faces, and longer daylight hours?
Here are some helpful kitchen tools for this recipe:
• Victoria Taylor’s Ginger Citrus Gourmet Rub Seasoning 2.8 Oz Tin (Pack of 2) - seriously an amazing spice mix that can be used to marinate and flavor all kinds of things. LOVE this one, and it you’ve got a Home Goods near by you can find it there!
• Lodge Logic L8SGP3 Pre-Seasoned Square Grill Pan, 10.5-inch - no outdoor grill? No problem – use a grill pan instead, it won’t come out exactly the same but it’s a great alternative!
- 1.3 pounds chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari (or soy sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ginger citrus seasoning
- Combine lemon juice, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and ginger citrus seasoning in a large bowl.
- Add chicken thighs, mix well with your hands to rub the marinade into the chicken and let sit for 15-30 minutes.
- Grill for 5-7 on each side.