When I first heard about cauliflower mash I wasn’t all that interested.
Sounds kind of strange right? I mean I’m a potato girl all the way. And I love my mashed potatoes made from scratch, with butter and milk. To be eaten immediately of course. I don’t know what it is but mashed potatoes just cannot be reheated. I think they taste foul.
But I digress.
When I finally gave the cauliflower mash a try I was beyond impressed. Move over mashed potatoes, this is the side dish for 2013.
With no animals harmed in the process (since this is vegan), cauliflower mash is a great alternative to the heavily loaded dairy product mashed potatoes.
I’m hooked. You do need to roast an entire head of garlic beforehand though (or a whole tray full if you plan on making this more than once). And the food processor is a must.
But the plate is optional. I sometimes prefer to eat this directly out of the food processor with a spoon. Who needs patience?
Seriously though, if you haven’t tried this, you must. All you need is cauliflower, garlic and fresh herbs and you’ll have yourself a killer vegan side dish.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut up into florets
- 1 head garlic, roasted, with cloves squeezed out
- 1 big bunch basil or dill (I prefer dill)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or other oil)
- salt, pepper to taste
- Steam or boil cauliflower until tender (10-15 minutes).
- To a food processor add cauliflower, garlic, salt, pepper, oil and fresh herbs.
- Process until smooth.