This pulled pork breakfast egg skillet recipe combines lightly caramelized onions and tomatoes with tender fall apart pulled pork, a handful of beans and slightly runny eggs. Talk about a great way to start the day. Gluten free and dairy free too.
I love love love pulled pork and I hadn’t had it in forever.
I mean I’m pretty sure I haven’t had pulled pork in the whole 18 months D and I have been traveling through Asia and Europe.
That’s way too long.
So when I spotted what looked like a piece of pork shoulder at a grocery store in Croatia I was determined to make some pulled pork. (Reading labeling in Croatian is no easy task I tell you).
I obsessively looked for recipes online – most of which required a slow cooker or cast iron pot and whole series of spices.
Cooking while traveling does not allow me to carry an arsenal of spices – all I’ve got to work with is salt. Yep just salt.
And naturally I have no slow cooker or cast iron pot. Most of the time I don’t even have an oven.
How was I going to make this work?
A simple standard pot would have to be sufficient. Some salt, 1 diced onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 cans of diced tomatoes and a cup of wine. That’s all it took to get the pulled pork I’ve been dreaming about for months.
Apparently you don’t need all the fancy equipment and half dozen spices. The pork just shines on its won. I reduced the sauce down as the perfect accompaniment.
Perfection. Party in your mouth. Best breakfast ever.
The mix of flavors is incredible. The creamy and slightly runny eggs, with the tender fall apart pork and the lightly caramelized tomatoes and onions – hmmmmmm.
Have I convinced you yet?
Talk about starting the day off right. : ))
- ½ onion, sliced,
- 1 tablespon oil
- ½ large tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- ¼-1/2 cup pulled pork with its sauce (preferable a tomato based sauce)
- 2 tablespoons canned beans (black or brown)
- 2 tablespoons cubed feta (omit for dairy-free version)
- fresh herbs (cilantro, scallions, etc), chopped
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat and add onions. Cook for a couple minutes or until translucent. Add tomatoes and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add pulled pork and beans and mix together.
- Make 2 "nests" to crack the eggs into. Crack the eggs into the pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Add salt to taste.
- Cook until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cubed feta and fresh herbs to garnish.
This post has been shared on Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Natural Living Mondays, , Hot Fun in the Summertime , Tasty Tuesdays, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday,Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday Fresh Foods Wednessday , Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Wednesday Round Up, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Wellness Wednesdays , Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Simple Meals Friday Gluten Free Friday, Get Him Fed Fridays, CookBlogShare, How Pinteresting,