A simple vegan and gluten free meal. Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms and Asian Flavors is sure to be a hit. You won’t even miss the chicken!
This toasted quinoa with mushrooms and Asian flavors has quickly become one of my new favorite recipes.
My relationship with quinoa got off to a rocky start last year but once I gave it another chance and cooked it correctly I was hooked. And I mean seriously obsessed. Like best buds for life.
High in protein and gluten free, quinoa is way healthier than white rice/pasta so you don’t even need to feel bad about grabbing seconds (or even thirds). And you know I can never stop myself with just one dinner serving. I need a solid slap on the wrists to prevent me from going for seconds, thirds, or sometimes even fourths (especially when toasted quinoa is present).
This recipe is adapted from How Sweet Eat Is, though I can’t take credit for the adaptations. My brilliant mom turned the recipe vegan friendly by substituting mushrooms for the chicken in the original recipe. Not just one type of mushrooms, but baby bella, shiitake and oyster. The finished product is just oozing Asian flavors while reminding you that vegan/gluten free food can in fact be delicious. Don’t believe me when I say it’s actually better without the chicken? Try it both ways yourself and let me know which you prefer. : )
What are your thoughts on quinoa? Love it or hate it? Any favorite recipes?
A vegan gluten free meal with mushrooms in place of the chicken - you won't even miss it!
5 minsPrep Time
25 minsCook Time
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3.5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 ounces sliced oyster mushrooms
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari
- Heat a pot over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil. Add 3 cloves minced garlic and quinoa and stir to combine, then cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is lightly toasted.
- Add in broth, increase heat to high, bringing to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minute or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- In a separate pan heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and add shiitakes. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally then remove.
- To the pan add another 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and add oyster mushrooms, cook for a few minutes. Remove.
- To the pan add another 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and add baby bella mushrooms and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 clove minced garlic and continue to cook with the mushrooms 1 minute. Add all the other mushrooms to the pan to combine.
- Whisk dressing in separate bowl.
- Combine mushrooms, quinoa, dressing, and green onions. Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.