Delicious vegan sauteed mushrooms that are super easy to make and quick to whip up as a side dish.
Mushrooms are delicious. Especially these vegan sauteed mushrooms. Though not my favorite vegetable they rank pretty high up there and as much as I love them grilled on vegetable kebabs during the non-summer months I have to find a different way to make use of them. And so it’s a good thing my mom came up with this awesome and painfully simple vegan sauteed mushrooms recipe. Also if you’re following a vegan diet mushrooms make for the best meaty hearty replacement — they can literally be used in place of meat — heard of shiitake bacon anyone? I have yet to try it, but I’ve read good things and need to try making it for myself! Or vegan tacos with mushrooms are all the rage – the mushrooms can easily replace that hearty meaty texture.
Toss a few different kinds of mushrooms together after sauteeing them, a squeeze of garlic, a dash of red pepper flakes and voila a side dish is complete. I actually could probably eat an entire plate of this but it’s too bad mushrooms completely shrivel up after cooking and 1 pound of mushrooms doesn’t look like much anymore. It’s incredible how that can happen! In this recipe I used shiitake, oyster and baby bella mushrooms but it could also work with regular button mushroom, portabella caps, and even more exotic chanterelle mushrooms. The options and possibilities are endless!
For a vegan and gluten free starter or side give these vegan sauteed mushrooms a try. Feel free to spice these up with more herbs or flavored oils – but I like mine simple, and these are just right.
Let me know what you think of these vegan sauteed mushrooms in the comments below.
For other vegan side dish recipes be sure to check out these:
Vegan Sauteed Mushrooms makes for the perfect side dish.
- 3.5 ounces shiiitake mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in saute pan. Add sliced shiitake and cook for a few minutes. Remove.
- In same pan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add oyster mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Remove.
- In the same pan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add baby bella mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally 4-5 minutes then add garlic and reserved mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, tossing ocassionally.
- Add red pepper flakes and soy sauce. Mix. Serve as a side dish or appetizer.