A super simple yet healthy and delicious stir fried vegan shiitake mushroom recipe with a splash of gluten-free tamari and a hint of spice, ginger and garlic. As an added bonus this is ready in 20 minutes!
I love talking about food.
Surprise surprise, right?
But seriously, if you want to keep the conversation flowing for hours upon hours, just bring up the topic of food.
With my cousin S, we seem to talk at length about various diets, him following a paleo bulletproof diet, and me being more of a believer in veggie heavy meals but there never seems to be a shortage of topcis. Which type of detox juice is the best? How tough on the digestive system is raw kale?
With my grandmother I used to exchange cooking ideas. We would gab on the phone about various recipes, who was cooking what for dinner, how it came out, and what’s next on the recipe agenda.
with my mom we do the same. I share my new favorite recipe ideas and she does the same. Naturally no two recipes made by different people ever come out the same, so there’s always a unique spin on things even when these recipe exchanges occur.
This stir fried vegan shiitake mushroom recipe is the result of the latest cooking related chats.
My mom enthusiastically described her latest kitchen creation, as a quick, light and hearty side dish, a perfect accompaniment to any meal, or even a stand alone entree in an of itself.
I got to work immediately.
First off, shiitake mushrooms are the best. One of my favorite mushrooms by far. They’re hearty and meaty which might be an odd way of describing a veggie but it’s really the best way to communicate the flavor. If you’re eating only veggies sometimes everything tastes a bit light, making it difficult for carnivores especially to beleive you could really get “full” off of just veggies.
Well throw some shiitakes into the mix the you won’t be feeling that way.
They add some real substance to a veggie heavy dish. Then you’ve got the crunch of those crispy vibrant red peppers and the softness from the lightly wilted spinach.
For additional flavor this vegan shiitake mushroom recipe gets it’s pop from the pan fried chopped garlic, ginger and chili peppers.
Drizzle with a bit of gluten free tamari for a finishing touch and you vegan and gluten-free side dish is ready within minutes.
This vegan shiitake mushroom recipe would also be delicious as a full meal if served over brown rice or quinoa.
Either way both healthy and delicious.
A super simple yet healthy and delicious vegan shiitake mushroom, red pepper and spinach stir fry with a splash of gluten-free tamari and a hint of spice, ginger and garlic
7 minPrep Time
13 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 small red bird's eye chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 to 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 ounces spinach
- 2 teaspoon gluten free tamari
- sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds as garnish (optional)
- Heat pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add shiitake mushrooms and pan fry until cooked through and lightly browned. Add ginger, garlic and chili peppers and cook until aromatic.
- Add red peppers and cook until lightly cooked but still crunchy, a couple minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Add gluten free tamari and stir to coat.
- Optional - garnish with sesame seeds.